30: Izzy - Diving in

Later that afternoon, Izzy lay on a sun lounge by the pool, finishing her second book of the trip. She loved chick lit. It took her mind off her worries and gave all sorts of advice on boys and growing up.

Tal had given up trying to catch the sun and gone into the house, leaving Izzy alone with Attila and the sound of the cicadas.

Sensing she wasn't alone, Izzy glanced up, with an instinctive suck of breath, she almost choked on her iced tea. It was Dom, shirtless, in a pair of board shorts entering through the glass pool door. Though she'd imagined what he'd look like without a shirt more times than she'd admit, she'd never actually seen his bare chest. She took in his long, muscular body and even suntan. His shoulder was adorned with a tattoo of a dragon that looked to be sleeping. She had to remind herself not to perv on Em's boyfriend.

Putting her book face down on the lounger, she asked casually. 'Are you getting in?'

'I was thinking about it,' he squinted at her through his eyelashes. Izzy felt a warmth rush through her. She'd noticed lately that this sometimes happened when Dom look directly at her. It felt almost like he was admiring her. Quickly she dismissed the thought and reached for her shirt to cover her stomach. She'd never been completely comfortable strutting around in bathers like some of the other girls.

Carefully Dom balanced on the edge of the pool and stuck his foot into the water. 'Wow! That's cold! Have you been in?'

Izzy had had a swim earlier in the day and agreed the pool was freakishly cold, something to do with being in the shade of the rainforest. She warned Dom against getting in too quickly, but Attila ran towards him, barking at his feet, almost toppling him.

'He has a selfish motive,' said Izzy smiling. 'He loves swimming but needs help getting out the pool.'

Dom danced out the way of the little dog's snapping jaws. 'Okay, okay, you win!' he said to Attila, laughing. 'I'm going in.' He looked over at Izzy. 'I can't believe I'm being bossed about by a dog.'

Izzy tried to call Attila back, but it was hopeless. He'd made his mind up. As Dom took a small run up and bombed into the pool, Atilla flew in after him.

Izzy watched as Dom sunk to the bottom of the pool and came up laughing, with Atilla dog paddling around him, splashing him in the face.

'Fuuu...ccckkk! That's grim.' Dom said, making his way immediately to the steps of the pool, breathing in quickly. He helped Attila to the side and launched himself out as soon as possible.

Stepping over to where Izzy was lying, he shook his head, spraying ice-cold water drops over her. Before she could move out of the way, Attila launched himself onto her sun lounger and shook his fur, adding to the cascade of cold droplets on her warm skin. The smell of wet dog and chlorine was not a good combination!

'You guys are such bastards!' Izzy yelped.

Cole had joined them in the pool area and was sitting on Dom's towel on the lounger next to Izzy. He shifted out of the way just in time to avoid the spray.

Dom reached his hand out to Cole for his towel.

'Don't give it to him,' said Izzy cruelly.

Cole obliged, withholding Dom's towel from him. 'Ha ha, hilarious,' said Dom shivering.

'You know I'll dunk you!' he warned Cole.

Izzy smiled at Cole's hurried response chucking Dom his towel. She wiped the droplets of water off her arms and legs before towel drying Attila between her knees.

'Hey, Tal and I are going to Cabarita Beach. D'you guys wanna come?' said Cole, changing the subject abruptly.

Izzy looked to Dom for confirmation. He rubbed his hair dry and nodded simultaneously.

'Yeah, of course,' Izzy said.

'That is unless you don't want us to?' Dom asked cryptically.

'Don't be an idiot,' Cole said, blushing. He backed out of the pool door. 'Get ready. We're leaving in five.'