26: Izzy - Zero chance

It must have been about 40 degrees in Byron Bay the evening of New Year's. Izzy and Tal made their way through what seemed like hundreds of drunken kids in the hotel gardens, looking for their people. They'd spent a quiet day soaking up the sun on the beach while Dom and Cole did their own thing.

Tal spotted Bish, first, almost a head above the crowd. He was standing by the top pool under a large grass umbrella. With his dark skin and solid stature, he stood out from all those around him. Behind him, there was a walled garden full of spot-lit bromeliads and a lily pond with coy fish in it.

'B-ish---oppp!' Tal shouted, giving him an enormous hug.

'Hey girl, wassup!?' Bish lifted Tal's tiny figure off the floor briefly and put her back on solid ground. He nodded at Izzy, 'looking good, girl.'

Izzy felt suddenly shy. She managed a small greeting.

Perched on large sandstone slabs beside Bish were two more boys from Izzy's school. Both shirtless, Tommo and Lucus, looked like they'd had a few to drink and a touch too much sun. Bursts of raucous laughter accompanied every comment. Izzy recalled she'd seen Tommo with a beer in hand at the beach earlier in the day, with Dom.

Bish was a tee-toller; he smoked weed but never drank. It surprised Izzy that he'd be there at all. It didn't seem like his scene. He preferred hanging out at clubs in the city, where he was an occasional DJ. An unlikely friendship existed between Bish and Dom, which often resulted in Bish turning up unexpectedly wherever Dom was. Perhaps Bish was here to develop content for his various social accounts. He was an influencer of sorts and notorious. Izzy made a mental note to stay out of his way tonight.

Tal knew Bish well-they had shared classes last term, and she seemed happy to see him.

'I can't believe you're here, sweetie,' she said. 'I didn't know you were coming.'

'I had to come, man,' laughed Bish. 'All of you white people roasting in the sun like its spring break-I wouldn't miss it!' Bish walked over to where Tommo was now sitting, sprawled on the lush lawn. 'Look at you, man!' he leaned down and hugged Tommo in that awkward way boys do. 'You're a lobster!'

'Don't joke,' laughed Tommo squinting up at him, 'I can't take my sunnies off.'

Lucas reached over and lifted Tommo's glasses clean off his face before he could duck out the way,

'No way, man,' said Bish, cracking up at Tommo's panda lines. 'I've got to get this on social. This is too funny!'

Bish had his phone on him, ready for all eventualities, and no one was safe from him. His followers knew him for his shock tactics and rewarded him with their loyalty.

Without mercy, Bish pointed his iPhone at Tommo and began filming him desperately trying to retrieve his sunglasses from Luc, the ridiculous circles around his eyes almost glowing.

Izzy became self-conscious and tried to steer clear of the phone camera. She didn't like the idea of being caught on video in next to nothing. Though she was wearing what all the other girls were wearing - a string bikini, with a summer wrap around her hips; she'd have preferred to be in her jeans this evening. Unfortunately, it was way too hot for that, and at least this way, she might get a swim in later.

Lucus offered cold drinks out of an icebox. The place was crowded, and it wasn't easy to get to the bar.

'Okay, so your choice is beer or beer -that's it!'

Izzy laughed. As designated driver, she'd have preferred a soft drink, but she gratefully took what was on offer knowing she'd only have a sip or two.

Dom arrived while they were talking. He was wearing a whitish t-shirt that accentuated his even tan, board shorts, and thongs, and his wet hair appeared rockstar messy. He looked like he'd just got out of a shower somewhere.