28: Izzy - Floral fountains

Later that night, Izzy looked towards the pool where sunburned teenagers were splashing on a giant pizza-shaped inflatable pool float. She could hear someone calling her name. Cole glided through the water towards her. He raised himself on his elbows on the edge of the pool. 'Bish is looking for you,' he said.

'For what purpose?' Izzy sounded skeptical.

'Dom's rat-faced. He's at the Copa bar'.

Before Cole could say another thing, Izzy turned back upstairs, rolling her eyes. She found Bish looking none-too-pleased, propping up Dom, who was drooping off a bar stool.

'I'd drive him myself,' Bish explained. 'But I didn't know where you guys were staying.'

For a second, Dom's head lifted, and his eyes fixed blearily on Izzy. 'Ooki!' he exclaimed as if he'd struck gold.

'What was that?' said Bish.

'Uki. I'm guessing,' said Izzy with a grin. 'We're staying there.'

'That's like half an hour away,' said Bish.

'Don't worry about it,' said Izzy. 'I'll take him home.' She put her arm under Dom's shoulder to try and steady him. 'If I leave now, I'll be back in time for the fireworks.'

Izzy wasn't sure how she would get Dom in the car. To her relief, Bish offered to come with her.

'Give me a minute to let Tal know where we're going?' Izzy said while attempting to hand Dom's limp body over. Bish caught him just in time as Dom slipped gently off his bar stool in slow motion.

*

As they drove the winding roads through the cane fields in the dark, Bish entertained Izzy with anecdotes of his new school. He wasn't the guy she'd thought he was. Instead, of feeling annoyed, as she'd expected, his stories seemed to make her laugh aloud and appreciate her school life at Watford in equal measure.

As they climbed the steep drive to the house, Bish tried to wake Dom without much luck. He groaned groggily and fell back down against the car door. A branch had fallen into the road blocking their ascent towards the house on the top of the hill. Izzy stopped the car at what felt like a ninety-degree angle while Bish leaped out to drag the branch from the road, and they were able to continue their steep ascent to the top. The house shone brilliantly through the shadowy forest leaves. When finally, they arrived at their destination, it took the two of them on either side of him to get Dom into bed.

On their arrival, Attila greeted them with his customary frantic barking, weaving his way between their legs getting underfoot. Izzy tried desperately to shush him. She didn't want to wake Dom's mum. Luckily Atilla promptly curled up in the crook of Dom's knees on the bed and went to sleep.

Izzy pointed Bish in the direction of the bathroom, so he could get a bucket to put beside Dom's bed.

'What's up with the toilet?' Bish asked, returning from the bathroom.

Izzy burst out laughing. 'Sorry, it's a composting toilet; I forgot to mention it.'

'I might wait until we get back,' Bish responded making Izzy chuckle. Before heading back, he put a glass of water by Dom's bed and the bucket, just in case.

On the drive back to the hotel, Izzy brought Bish up to speed with the latest at Watford.

Before long, the conversation turned to Lulu, Dom's sister, who was now at the same public school as Bish. She was having a hard time adjusting.

'Girls can be harsh,' Bish said. 'I think it's easier for me, being black, my parents' money and the fact I went to Watford don't bother anyone, but Lulu gets harassed a lot. The girls call her Posh Spice and not in a good way.'

'Have you spoken to Dom about this?' Izzy asked.

Before Bish could answer, his phone buzzed.

'Hang on, that'll be Tal'. He reached into his pocket and answered his phone. Izzy could hear shrieks in the background at the hotel. She heard Bish tell Tal that they'd be there soon.

'Promise. Two minutes. Meet us in the car park.'

As he hung up, he said, 'It sounds wild there. Are you up for this?'

Izzy smiled as they slowed to turn into the hotel's car park. 'Gotta love being the only teetotaler at a party....'

As Izzy searched for a parking spot, Bish returned to their conversation.

'Dom knows about Lulu,' he said. Not much he can do, though. She has to figure a way to handle it.'

Izzy stopped the car, pulled the hand brake on, and turned off the ignition.

'Lulu was popular with girls at Watford,' she said. 'I wonder why things are so difficult for her now.'

'I don't know,' said Bish. 'She's pretty, but I don't think that's helping. It makes some girls meaner.'

'Do you guys talk at school much?' asked Izzy.

'Sometimes, yeah,' Bish said. 'I intervened in a chat group that got nasty last month. I've been keeping more of an eye on her since.'

'I'm sure Dom would appreciate that,' said Izzy.

'Actually, I'm kind of worried about him too,' said Bish, as they got out of the car. 'It's not like him to be outta control like this.'

Izzy thought about that for a moment. Dom didn't seem the kind of guy anyone would need to be concerned for. Sure, he overdid it tonight, but don't all teenagers do that at some point? Before she had the chance to probe why Bish might be worried, Tal came running towards them, clearly also looking a bit worse for wear. She'd lost her shoes and her short hair was messier than usual. 'C'mon, you guys!' she said, pulling Izzy by the hand, 'Fireworks in five minutes! You nearly bloody missed it.'

When they reached pool side, Izzy tilted her head back and watched the sky light up with floral fountains of colour peppered with bursts of bright white. The pops and whizzes of the fireworks were loud and close and tiny pieces of ash floated down on top of them. She wondered what the New Year would bring, silently praying for a miracle for her Mum. She felt suddenly emotional.

Bish turned to wish Izzy a happy New Year. He must have noticed her expression turn melancholy and spontaneously took her in his arms in her an enormous, unexpected hug that brought tears to her eyes. As Bish held her, stroking her hair, she leaned against him, soaking up the comfort offered. She wondered if he knew she was sad about her Mum's illness. He didn't say anything, but he must have known, perhaps Tal had told him. To her surprise Izzy realized she didn't care if he knew. Strangely enough, in the short time she'd got to know him, she already felt she could trust Bish not to say anything to the other boys.

Across the stone pathway opposite a large glowing fountain, Izzy noticed Cole and Tal had finally found each other. She smiled to herself. They were locked in a deep and passionate kiss, the kind that only teenagers, experiencing the dawn of a New Year, with all its promise, could hope to experience. Somehow their height difference didn't look so comedic when they were curled up in each other's arms.