26

Before setting out on the trip, Utaha had a moment to talk with Sensei. In that conversation, the president of the engineering club had the opportunity to tell him of her concern about him going on the mission. She told him that she would not be able to forgive herself if anything happened to him so she gave him a box in which there was a glove and the grip of a knife.

''Sensei, are you really going to insist on going?'' He continued to refuse to answer her, ''I can't imagine what would have happened if your death had been confirmed on the day you were wounded.... If so, please use that for your own safety. We have named the grip, 'Ares', and the gauntlet, 'Egida'. Both tools were made with the energy of Arisu's halo. The glove will provide you with an impenetrable shield and the grip will become whatever is most convenient for you to use, a spear, arrow or sword... Whoever can use them, but we did it specifically so that you would have something to defend yourself with, but....

On sublevel 2, lines that resembled circuits ran slowly and painfully down sensei's arm.

" ...We don't know what effect it might have on you,'' Utaha's voice sounded in sensei's mind.

The pressure exerted by the android and the severe pain in his arm prevented the Sensei from moving freely. He tried to pull the grip Ares out of his pocket; the humanoid's other blade fell on the shield; Sensei was sent against the ground causing the tool Utaha had given him to slip from his hand. He could barely resist. Before his strength left him, he made an effort to deflect the blades. Tilting his hand, they made the blades slip to the side. A "crack" was heard on Sensei's wrist. The educator stole to the side, stretched out his good hand hoping to reach the weapon Utaha had given him. What his hand grabbed was Hare's drone. The android was heading for it. In an act of desperation, he threw the robotic sphere at it. Upon contact with M.O.T.H.E.R.'s third daughter, the drone released a shock. The android was paralyzed for a brief instant.

The last thing Sensei saw and heard was a blinding flash after Hina stepped between him and the android's blade as she gave a piercing scream.