15

In the Prefect Team office, Sensei was alone in front of Hina's empty desk. He had had to use Nodoka in order to distract Makoto. The Gehenna student council president, as soon as she realized that the S.C.H.A.L.E. representative was going to arrive at the academy, tried to corner him by sending Iroha and Ibuki to the station to pick him up. Makoto's intention was to show Gehenna's superiority to the other schools, even though Gehenna was arguably the one in the most delicate position after the Eden Treaty and the actions of the president herself. Sensei explained to Iroha that he had no time for idleness and that he needed to talk to someone about some weapons and ammunition purchases the academy made from a black market company. Iroha with a sigh complained about having to distract, lie or tell Makoto the truth. Sensei suggested an alternate solution. It didn't take the Red Winter girl long to realize that the president of Gehenna was the tall version of Cherino.

Hina entered the office accompanied by Ako. They both greeted Sensei. Before they asked what the reason for the visit was, Sensei took out the receipts and placed them on the desk. He asked for an explanation. The educator's attitude was cold. That lowered Hina's spirits a little when she saw him, but as the head of the Prefect Team, she kept her professional attitude. She took the receipts and no matter how much she checked them, it was clear the lack of knowledge of what it was. However, Ako, upon closer inspection, became nervous.

''What is this?'' Asked the chairwoman of the disciplinary committee.

''It's the receipts from a purchase the academy made on the black market and a rather large one at that. I spoke with Iroha and she confirmed that it is a purchase that had been approved at the request of the disciplinary committee.''

''I would never have guessed from the name of the company that it was a purchase of weapons and ammunition. It is true that a few months ago we asked for a budget approval for new equipment, but... I had no idea that the purchase had been made from a company operating on the black market.''

''And what about the attack the committee made on a group of Gehenna thugs in that area?''

''What are you talking about, Sensei?'' Hina was confused and downcast. ''Despite the illegality of that area, it's out of our jurisdiction.''

''A few days after the problems with the Eden Treaty, the tengu of Hyakkiyako clashed with the Gehenna gang and the disciplinary committee. Basically the Tengu Gang got caught in the crossfire by accident, but from what I found out, the committee went so far as to prevent that theft...''

''What are you getting at?''

''Sensei! Don't distrust Hina-sama!''

''...!''

''I know what you're getting at, and if you're going to blame someone, blame me.''

''Ako, what's going on?''

''Hina, don't you have any idea of the disease that's running rampant among the gangs?''

''I still don't understand what you two are talking about...''

Ako explained what she had been hiding from Hina. Before the treaty, Makoto cut the budget for Hina's club to almost nothing even though they would soon have a training camp. Hina convinced, in her own way, the president to change the allocated budget, however, the new budget did not include the new equipment that was needed. Ako, not wanting to give Hina any more trouble, submitted a request for an extra budget. Thanks to Iroha's help and Makoto's unwillingness to listen to Hina's reasons and her machine gun, the budget was approved, however, what was approved was not even half of what was needed. Ako avoided pressuring the Pandemonium Society for more, as the treaty was close. Makoto was reluctant to sign it and with what Hina had done to convince her of the previous budget, she might back out completely and ruin something Hina had worked so hard for. So with the money that was approved, she searched the black market for a supplier that could supply what she needed. Being a large movement of weapons and money, in such an unpopular area, it was agreed to make the delivery in three parts.

''I guess everything was fine until the cases of sick students started to appear...''

''That's right...''

Chinatsu was the first to report this to Ako. Together with the Emergency Medicine Club, she kept the sick ones a secret. The treaty incident, Makoto's screw-ups, the groups opposing the treaty being created, her own bad decisions, and the rumor of the sickness that was spreading because of the disciplinary committee, made Ako fear that Hina would be branded as the culprit of Gehenna's decaying situation. That prompted the club's administrator to order a raid on the black market thugs who had learned of the third delivery of weapons. The gangsters were not only threatening to steal the shipment but also to spread the false rumor that the Prefect Team was involved in illegal matters.

''Ako... You and your habit of acting on your own...'' Hina said to him.

''Did you know... the ammunition you bought is contaminated with a pathogen that not only sickens those it infects but also steals the halo's energy?... You could have consulted me before proceeding carelessly on the black market.''

The president and the administrator of the Prefect Team remained mute. Sensei got up and left without another word. Makoto and a very tired Nodoka were passing by the Prefect Team office when Sensei came out. Seeing his companion, he told her that they were leaving. Nodoka pranced off with him. The president of Pandemonium Society was confused... More than usual.