Prologue

Dear Lin,
I do hope that this letter finds you well. Audrey has just turned 18 and - well I was hoping she'd at least get to meet you- I guess one can say that she has now officially lived through her whole childhood without her mother.

She doesn't deserve what you did to her Lin.

But this letter will probably go unread- let alone answered- like all the others I've sent you. I do hope that you'll soon pull yourself together Lin.

Not for me, but for your daughter.

Kind Regards,

Suyin.

~•~

"Gran-gran!" Audrey screamed, running through the snow at a rapid pace. Her long, ink-black hair swept from side to side in its high pony tail. The snow was beginning to melt with the morning sun rising over a simmering, white snow dune.

Katara turned away from her steaming pot of sea prunes and smiled to see her granddaughter bolting towards her holding an injured penguin.

Audrey brought the penguin to Katara's feet and stood aside, catching her breath after running through the thick snow. Katara examined the penguin, the light blue glow of water reflected off her tan face. "It's definitely injured," she mumbled amidst concentration. "But nothing too bad." She finished, standing upright and smiling at her granddaughter. " I see your birthday won't stop you from your penguin daycare." Audrey smiled, "The penguins are in need of our healing abilities just as much as we need it... it's our duty to protect those who can't be protected." She looked at Katara with a 'matter-of-fact' expression.

Her grandmother laughed, "Come inside Rey, you've been up since dawn." She turned toward the tent behind them, and pushed past the animal hide entrance.

"But what about the penguin? And, and your stew?" The ink-haired girl frowned, looking at the penguin, still lying on the ground.

"The penguin is fine." Katara replied calmly but slightly rushed.  "It'll sleep for a bit and waddle off later, our work there is done. And the stew still has some time before it's ready." She turned back around and walked in, her granddaughter now followed. Still confused about her grandmother's attitude, she always waited until the last moment with her sea prunes.
She followed in after her, pushing past the animal hide entrance.

The tent was strangely dark-

"SURPRISE!"

All of Audrey's close friends and family jumped out from behind a long table, piled with all sorts of snacks and lined with traditional blue decorations. There were so many familiar faces of people from far and wide with party hats and party horns.

"Happy Birthday!" They all yelled in unison, shortly after. Audrey gasped with surprise and turned to her grandmother, who was smiling from ear to ear.

"Happy 18th birthday Rey." She said. "My first grandchild has now become an adult." She placed her hand on Audrey's cheek. "I feel so proud- and old!" She interjected herself, causing laughter to erupt amongst the crowd. Audrey smiled, her eyes glassy.

"YEAH, YEAH OK!" A voice pierced through the laughter. "NOW CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE THE FOOD IS?"

Audrey's eyes lit up and turned to the crowd. "What? It can't be..." She mumbled. The crowd parted to reveal a certain blind earthbender.