The Opal Necklace

The morning of October 19th was a cold one. Snow had started the night before and continued into the morning. In the middle of the night, Maia had a nightmare and made her way into (Y/N) and Hermione's room. Everything led to it being a struggle to get up that morning. The bed was cozy, the sheets warm, and the fire added an element of coziness, but all good things come to an end, and (Y/N)'s wand buzzed an alarm for breakfast before classes, so everyone reluctantly got out of bed and ready for the day. As the three walked into the Great Hall, it seemed everyone had chosen jeans and wool sweaters, except (Y/N), who kept the jeans and subbed a flannel in place of the sweater. The three sat at the Gryffindor table and began eating. Harry and Ron came through the doors with several of the Gryffindor boys in tow, talking about something that they thought was hilarious. After eating a little, Ron and Harry began regaling the table with a story about how Harry had levitated Ron by the ankles and then set him down non-verbally. Hermione did not crack a smile during this anecdote and turned an expression of wintry disapproval upon Harry. "Was this spell, by any chance, another one from that potion book of yours?" she asked. Harry frowned at her. 

"Always jump to the worst conclusion, don't you?" 

"Was it?" 

"Well . . . yeah, it was, but so what?" 

"You decided to try out an unknown, handwritten incantation and see what would happen?" (Y/N) asked, switching his attention from Maia for a second. 

"Why does it matter if it's handwritten?" said Harry, preferring not to answer the rest of the question. (Y/N) handed Maia his wand, and they started practicing spells.

"Because it's probably not Ministry of Magic–approved," said Hermione. "And also," she added, as Harry and Ron rolled their eyes, "because I'm starting to think this Prince character was a bit dodgy." 

"It was a laugh!" said Ron, upending a ketchup bottle over his sausages. "Just a laugh, Hermione, that's all!" 

"Dangling people upside down by the ankle?" said Hermione. "Who puts their time and energy into making up spells like that?" 

"Fred and George," said Ron, shrugging, "it's their kind of thing. And, er —" 

"Look, it's best not to use random spells unless you've seen people use them. You could have blown up the dorm if your prince hadn't completed the spell."

"My dad," said Harry. He had only just remembered. 

"What?" asked Ron and Hermione. 

"My dad used this spell," said Harry. 

"I — Lupin told me."

"Maybe your dad did use it, Harry," Hermione began, "but he's not the only one. We've seen a whole bunch of people use it, in case you've forgotten. Dangling people in the air. Making them float along, asleep, helpless." 

"That was different," Ron said robustly. "They were abusing it. Harry and his dad were just having a laugh. You don't like the price, Hermione," he added, pointing a sausage at her sternly, "because he's better than you at Potions —" 

"It's got nothing to do with that!" said Hermione, her cheeks reddening. "I just think it's very irresponsible to start performing spells when you don't even know what they're for and stop talking about 'the Prince' as if it's his title. I bet it's just a stupid nickname, and it doesn't seem as though he was a very nice person to me!" 

"I don't see where you get that from," said Harry heatedly. "If he'd been a budding Death Eater, he wouldn't have been boasting about being 'half-blood,' would he?"