Occlumency

(Y/N) watched Harry slowly work on his potion. Hermione had explained his stupid plan to break into Umbridge's office and use her fireplace to talk to Sirius. Snape had instructed (Y/N) to continue trying to keep Neville up to speed, whose decline had worsened significantly in the months following Umbridge's educational decree banning student organizations. "Thanks for the help, (Y/N)," Neville said awkwardly. 

"No problem."

"So, you and Hermione."

"You know about that?"

"Hermione explained what would happen if the Ministry found out. Your secret is safe with us."

"It won't be a problem much longer."

"You know a way to free her?"

"I have an agreement to end everything, but you'll figure that out around the end of June. Stop stirring. You see how the potion is a nice, almost ocean blue?" Neville nodded. 

"Did I mess it up?"

"No. It's perfect. Add your infusion of wormwood and mix for exactly one minute, and it will be done. You know this stuff, Longbottom. You just need to be more confident in yourself."

"How? I have a hand-me-down wand, parents permanently in hospital, and I can't do anything without someone watching me." (Y/N) took a moment to think about what he was going to say, and Neville stopped stirring on his own. 

"Look at that, Longbottom. You could get an 'E' with that, maybe even an 'O' if Snape isn't too cruel."

"That's another thing," Neville said sadly.

"Don't let a bitter middle-aged man hold you back, Longbottom. I heard a rumor that one of the best Aurors in a century singled you out as one of the best at Herbology."

"Well, he was a Death Eater masquerading as Moody."

"One of the Death Eaters who attacked your parents was so impressed with how good you are at Herbology, you forced him to admit it, even if he didn't want to. I'm sure your parents would be very proud of you."

"Do you think they could ever be healed?" Neville asked. (Y/N) eyed him carefully.

"Maybe, but their brains need to heal. Some Muggles have used plants and plant extracts to treat brain injuries. Maybe you could discover a plant to help them."

"Do they really?"

"Of course. I wouldn't lie about something so serious." Neville sat up a little straighter as he filled a flask and corked it.

"What are you doing tonight?" Neville asked.

"Well, I'm supposed to help Potter with . . . something, but I think he has other plans, so I'll probably help him or work to get ahead in my classes. You?" Neville leaned toward (Y/N). 

"I'm helping Hannah Abbott."

"Didn't she need a calming draught?"

"She freaked out over Herbology and asked me for help. I was going to skip, but now, I don't think I will."

"Good luck with that. Remember, you know Herbology. I want to check Potter's potion. I'll see you around." Neville nodded, and (Y/N) snaked through the cauldrons. "Hold on, Hermione," (Y/N) said, stopping her from clearing Harry's cauldron. (Y/N) took a spare flask and filled it with Harry's orange potion, a weaker, overcooked version of Neville's blue potion. (Y/N) circled it in front of him and sniffed the trail.

"What do you think?" Hermione worriedly asked.

"I think it could get him an 'E.' It smells surprisingly strong for an orange version. Something must have distracted him. I doubt Harry would have normally overcooked the potion." (Y/N) said, eyeing his girlfriend suspiciously.