McGonagall's Greatest Hits

"You look like a dad," Hermione smiled at (Y/N) as he and Maia walked into the Gryffindor Quidditch stands.

"Well, I am one, so it makes sense," (Y/N) said, leaning in and pecking Hermione on the lips.

"Eww," Maia said, looking away from the two. (Y/N) and Hermione chuckled before heading up to the stands. Partway through the match, Hagrid pulled Hermione and Harry away, leaving Maia and (Y/N) to watch. 

"Hermin-ninny," an excited Maia shouted, running over to the witch.

"Hello, Maia."

"Are you okay?" (Y/N) asked, resting his forehead against Hermione's.

"I wish they'd stop singing that stupid 'Weasley is our King' song," said Hermione miserably, "haven't they gloated enough?"

"I think they have, but it isn't my house singing," (Y/N) smirked.

"YES!" Harry cheered loudly as a hoard of scarlet and gold crested the hill towards the group. 

"HARRY! HERMIONE!" yelled Ron, waving the silver Quidditch Cup in the air and looking quite beside himself. "WE DID IT! WE WON!"  They beamed up at him as he passed; there was a scrum at the door of the castle, and Ron's head got rather badly bumped on the lintel, but nobody seemed to want to put him down. Still singing, the crowd squeezed itself into the entrance hall and out of sight. The four watched them go, beaming, until the last echoing strains of "Weasley Is Our King" died away. Harry and Hermione turned to each other, their smiles fading.

"We'll save our news till tomorrow, shall we?" asked Harry. 

 "Yes, all right," said Hermione wearily. "I'll tell you tonight, (Y/N). I'm not in any hurry to talk . . ."

"Must have been quite the experience," (Y/N) commented as the group climbed the steps.

(Y/N) walked into Professor McGonagall's office. "Mr. Malfoy, I would like to congratulate you on your marriage to Ms. Granger."

"Thank you, Professor."

"How has she been doing now that O.W.L.s are occurring?"

"Hermione's tired, but she's still studying, and I think she'll get all Outstandings."

"That is rather optimistic."

"The most Hermione struggled with was Defense Against the Dark Arts, so we practiced that a lot, and she cast a Corporeal Patronus during her test."

"I suppose that would help."

"Extra points will always help."

"You are in Umbridge's little circle," McGonagall flatly stated. (Y/N) nodded. "Do you know when she's going to go after Hagrid?"

"She's in a meeting  with a bunch of Aurors right now, so I assume tonight."

"How do you know?" 

"They walked in right after I finished a meeting with her."

"Oh dear, I need to go warn Hagrid. You stay here." McGonagall didn't give (Y/N) a chance to protest, leaving the room with her wand drawn. (Y/N) waited for five minutes before sighing, getting out of his chair, and walking out.

"How dare you!" (Y/N) heard as he ran out of the castle. "How dare you! Leave him alone! Alone, I say!" said Professor McGonagall's voice through the darkness. "On what grounds are you attacking him? He has done nothing, nothing to warrant such —" Before (Y/N) could reach the teacher, more than four stunning spells hit her. She was lifted right off her feet, then landed hard on her back, and moved no more. (Y/N) looked at the astronomy tower. (Y/N) moved slowly to the professor, blending into the darkness.

"COWARDS!" bellowed Hagrid, and several lights flickered back on inside the castle. "RUDDY COWARDS! HAVE SOME O' THAT — AN' THAT —" Hagrid took two massive swipes at his closest attackers; judging by their immediate collapse, they had been knocked cold. Hagrid bent over and stood with what appeared to be a sack on his back. Fang's limp body was draped around his shoulders. 

 "Get him, get him!" screamed Umbridge, but her remaining helper seemed highly reluctant to go within reach of Hagrid's fists. Indeed, he was backing away so fast that he tripped over one of his unconscious colleagues and fell over. Hagrid had turned and begun to run with Fang still hung around his neck; Umbridge sent one last Stunning Spell after him, but it missed, and Hagrid, running full-pelt toward the distant gates, disappeared into the darkness. Umbridge's helper and a few others stood slowly before turning to the castle. Light filled the darkness as more and more people woke up, destroying (Y/N)'s concealment. Bright red stunning spells flew his way. (Y/N) flicked his wand upward. 

"Protego," he cast, and the shield reflected the red light of the spells. (Y/N) ran to McGonagall's unconscious body and grabbed her shoulder, Disapparating to the infirmary.

"At least they didn't get to take Hagrid off to Azkaban," said Ron. "I 'spect he's gone to join Dumbledore, hasn't he?" 

 "I suppose so," said Hermione, who looked tearful. "Oh, this is awful, I really thought Dumbledore would be back before long, but now we've lost Hagrid too . . ."

"And McGonagall," a voice said from out of nowhere.

"(Y/N)!" Hermione said, crushing him in a hug. One of (Y/N)'s hands grabbed Hermione's thigh, and the other held her back. "Does Umbridge know it was you?"

"I don't think so. Besides, whoever helped McGonagall could Apparate on school grounds, and that's impossible for a student."

"But you did." Harry elbowed Ron. 

"How could I? Dumbledore's the only one who can Apparate," (Y/N) said, setting Hermione down. They traipsed back to the Gryffindor common room to find it full. The commotion out in the grounds had woken several people, who had hastened to rouse their friends. Seamus and Dean, who had arrived ahead of Harry, Ron, and Hermione, were now telling everyone what they had heard from the top of the Astronomy Tower.