Scent...

Atlas:

"You were supposed to just give him the flowers, and ask him out to dinner... not elope!"

"Shush! We did no such thing."

"Then why are you calling me from the next town?"

"I... he needed my help. So, I gave it to him."

"You gave it to him. Hard?"

"Shut up. I meant I gave him my help." I slapped my forehead.

"And what exactly is that?"

"It's kind of a secret. I'm not supposed to tell anyone."

"Atlas Ambrose Barrier, you'd better have a good explanation why you just abandoned your crew, your pack, and your job. I am not going to take the blame for any of your..."

"Fine! We're on our way to Lake Ricordi. There was an attack on his coven lastnight. There were beings called Whiffs that were after an old tome that held powerful spells. Said tome could cause a major problem for Lycans if it fell into the wrong hands. Which is why we're on a mission to find the Oracle of Thetis to return the book to her."

"Are you drunk!"

"God, no! I know it sounds ridiculous but it's the truth."

"Why would the Whiffs need a book? Their main concern has always been to eradicate Alphas by attacking their Lunas. By so doing, they've succeeded countless times in the past to either massacre everyone in the pack, or control defeated packs and spread their territory and power."

"How should I know? Do I look like a Whiff to you?"

"No, but your acting weird. You've always been levelheaded, and... wait. Is Glare your mate?" Dave suddenly asked.

"No. I don't think so? My wolf hasn't identified him as such. But I am attracted to him."

"Are you sure? You don't feel like he's the very air you breathe? Or you feel weak in his presence? How does he smell?"

"Like strawberries dipped in champagne."

"You're showing signs that you've found your mate."

"It can't be. My wolf has been quiet around Glare."

"Maybe it's a slow burn."

"A what now?"

"You know, when the attraction comes first before your wolf is able to identify him as your mate!"

"Oh no."

"What?" Dave asked, worried.

"The harvest moon!"

"Relax. The harvest moon only plays tricks on you when you've found your mate. That's why the guys and I need to hunt to tire our wolves out. Otherwise we'd be animals in bed with our wives, and girlfriends. Like you said, your wolf hasn't claimed Glare to be that so you're safe for now."

"I hope so. I don't want to scare him away."

"You really like this guy, don't you?"

"I do." I didn't notice the smile that easily came.

"Could it be that you're under a spell? He is a warlock afterall."

"No. I don't think so. You of all people should know that incantations and spells don't easily affect me. Father's sacrifice, remember?"

"How can I forget? I accompanied your dad to offer those sacrifices to the mage of Calydon, to protect you and Ares from harm when the coven of Lessick attacked, back when you were but boys under ten."

"And that protection spell has only gotten stronger as both Ares and I matured."

"Still, Glare is from an old and powerful bloodline. I wouldn't be surprised if his magical prowess exceeds that of any mage we know."

"He has no reason to weave a spell over me. Except to get a ride, which he could've gotten from Uber." I chuckled.

"Uber would've charged. You're just in it for the tip."

"You really should wash your brain old man. It's way too filthy." I growled.

"Nah, it's one of my charms. The missus likes me the way I am. Not gonna change perfect little ole me anytime soon, kid."

"How Clarice puts up with you is a mystery."

"Oh well, she gets more than what she bargained for in the sack. Don't hear her complaining in that department."

"Jeez! You're so full of it!" I laughed.

"Atlas? Dinner's ready." I heard the muffled voice of Glare call me from outside my door.

"Coming."

"Already?"

"Shut up! Glare's calling me. Dinner is served." I half whispered.

"Well, well. I see you've made it clear who's the boss. Good move kiddo."

"Funny thing is, I didn't do anything. It's as if he just wants to please me since we drove out of town."

"Then I guess the attraction is mutual."

"I should hope so. I really like him."

"I'm happy for you kid. Enjoy your dinner. Talk to you soon Atlas."

"Sure thing Dave." And the call ended with me smiling like a fool.