Chapter 17 - Final

Wednesday's POV:

Enid's parents had been sitting in the hospital waiting room for what felt like an eternity. They had been waiting for the doctor to come and explain what was happening. When the doctor finally arrived, I was standing about 15 feet away, far enough away that I couldn't hear what was being said. My heart dropped as I watched Enid's parents' once hopeful face's turn into shock. Her mother collapsed into her chair, devastated. Tears started to stream down her face as I started to comprehend the situation. Knowing that there was nothing I could do, I silently walked out of the room, wanting to be alone with my thoughts. 

As I stepped outside, I felt my anger start to rise up within me. I was angry at myself for not being able to do anything to help, and I was angry at life for being so unfair. I wanted to take out my frustrations, so I punched the wall next to me with all my might. The pain I felt in my hand as I pulled it back to my chest made me feel a little bit better, but it also reminded me that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't change the situation.

My hand is throbbing but the pain fades into the background compared to the agony I'm feeling inside. The guilt is overwhelming and I can't stop the flood of 'what if's' that are racing through my mind. If I had opened the door just a minute earlier, would she still be alive? If I had just minded my own business and not pushed her to talk to me, would she still be here? If I hadn't flinched, would we still be back at the dorm embracing each other? My breath quickens and I raise my hand to my chest. I long to feel her touch again, but I know it will never happen. It has only been a few hours, but it feels like it's been years since I last saw her. I can't bear the thought of her being gone forever and I collapse to the ground, burying my head between my knees.

I want to believe that this isn't real, that she is still alive back at the dorm, dancing around the room to her favorite playlist. In a desperate attempt to make this nightmare end, I dig my nails into my arm to wake myself up... but nothing. This is real life. She's dead. And I will never talk to her again, I will never feel her again. Tears stream down my face as I realize that this is the truth and I will never get the chance to tell her how much I cared for her. 

"Wednesday?" I hear my mother say worried. 

I put my head up seeing her walking from the parking lot. 

"Where's Enid? Is she-"

"She's dead."

My mother goes to hug me but I stand up and push away. 

"I just want to go home."

My mother nods and we go to the car. 

"Do you want to go home for a while before going back to school?"

I nod and continue to look out the window. 

--------

When I get back to the house, I make my way down to the pond. Everywhere I look I see her. I see her in the heart made of rocks that she painstakingly arranged. I see her in the tree that she carved our initials in, a reminder of our young love. I see her in the pond that I taught her to skip stones in, the sound of her laughter ringing through the air. I see her on the roads that she used to dance along, her feet moving in time with the wind and the birds. 

 The memories of our time together come flooding back, and I'm overwhelmed with grief. Tears stream down my face, and I can barely breathe. I know I will never get to experience that kind of joy again. I'm thankful that I got to share it with her, I just wish I could have more time with her. 

I sit down and lean up against the tree by the pond and watch the water. I look back at all the memories we made together... and all the ones that won't be made. I will never love anyone as much as I love Enid. And no one will ever love me as much as Enid loves me... loved me.