Chapter 12

Enid's POV:

It's been one month since Wednesday kicked Ajax's ass, and thankfully, nothing else has gone wrong since then. However, although Wednesday appears to be doing okay on the surface, I can't help but sense that something is wrong. She's not the same as she was over the summer. She's been snapping at people more often. I'm sure she would never show me her true feelings, so I'm hesitant to bring it up and potentially push her away. But at the same time, maybe a gentle nudge in the right direction would be okay. I'm not sure if I should take that chance.

"Hey, If something was bothering you, you would talk to me right?" I ask.

She stops typing and looks up. "Why are you asking?"

"No reason, but Wednesday, you didn't answer the question."

"I would if it was important." She answers blankly.

"Wednesday, it doesn't have to be important, you can tell me anything."

"I know I can."

She goes back to typing, her fingers flying over the keyboard at a frenzied pace. I can tell that she's trying to distract herself from whatever emotions she's feeling. I can see it in the tightness of her jaw. I want to reach out and comfort her, but I'm not sure if she's ready to talk yet. Instead, I lay down on my bed and pull out my phone to text Yoko.

Me: Have you noticed that Weds has been kinda moody lately

Yoko: yeah I have, have you tried talking to her?

Me: I've tried but she keeps pushing me away

Yoko: careful, you know what she can do when shes mad

Me: Weds wouldn't hurt me

Yoko: still be careful

Me: I will

I don't think Wednesday would ever hurt me. She has done so much for me, and I know that she has the capability of doing so if she wanted to, but I also know she won't. I am confident in that knowledge, so I take a deep breath and sit up in bed.

Wednesday's POV:

"Wednesday, I know you are hurting, would you please talk to me."

"I'm fine Enid."

"No Wednesday, you aren't. Why are you pushing me away?"

"I'm not pushing you away."

"Yes... yes you are, why do you think it's so bad to show emotion?"

"Because emotion makes you weak."

"I show my emotions. Are you calling me weak."

"I'm not calling you strong, that's for sure." I say standing up and walking toward the middle of the room.

"If you bottle up your emotions you will regret it." Her eyes fill with anger.

"I can think of a few other things I am regretting." I say without even thinking. I immediately start to feel guilty, but before I have time to apologize I find myself on the floor. Everything goes black.

When I open my eyes, I'm immediately met by the sight of Enid standing over me, her face contorted with worry. I reach up to my head and feel a wet sticky substance that I soon realize is blood. The ringing in my ears is slowly replaced by other sounds, like voices in the distance, and I start to realize what must have happened.

"Oh my god Enid, what did you do" I hear Yoko yell from across the room. "Wednesday?"

Yoko runs up to me and tries to pick me up but I back away. I grind my teeth and clutch my head. I look around the room but my vision is blurry. I see some of my hair on the edge of my bed and then look back at the blood on my hand.