Chapter Thirty-two - The Rescue

THE BLACKNESS SPEWING FROM THE TOWER spiralled up into the night sky and gradually spread its way outwards, it roiled and writhed, spreading its malignant poison as it went. Lightning flashed and danced across its under surface casting a flickering glow on the land below. It had now reached the far edge of the valley and within a few hours it would spill out into the wider world.

The foul creature holding Princess Meriol skirted the very edge of the clouds as its rider steered it towards Ravens Bane. She felt helpless, wishing she had not lost her sword; at least then she may have been able to free herself and make her escape. Rain mixed with her tears of frustration as the rider turned the bat creature and pointed it at the dark tower. A crumbling parapet appeared high on the side of the keep and a unit of Goblyn guards pushed from an arched opening and rushed forward. The creature hovered above the stonework, leathery wings beating wildly. The rider held the beast steady, then ordered it to drop her. Meriol screamed as she slammed onto the stone slabs. She desperately tried to scramble to her feet, but before she could, rough Goblyn hands grabbed for her. In moments her arms and legs were tightly bound with thin leather straps.

One of the Goblyns forcibly threw her over his shoulder and carried her into the keep. The others followed, chittering among themselves. They started descending a spiralling staircase that clung precariously to the inside walls of the tower, no rail guarded the drop that yawned below them. The whole centre of the keep appeared to have been ripped out by some unstoppable force. Here and there wooden beams and the remains of collapsing stone arches and doorways showed where once great halls and rooms had stood. 

The air around her filled with a great roaring sound and Meriol twisted her head to ascertain the cause. A great vortex of dark matter howled up from the bowels of the keep, spinning overhead, and up into the night sky. It whistled and whipped at the Goblyns, threatening to pluck them from the stairwell. But they pressed forward, surefooted, keeping well away from the jagged edge of the steps. 

After what seemed like an eternity to the Princess, they reached a level that was still mostly intact. A large wooden door studded with iron creaked open and the Princess was deposited on the floor of a great stone chamber. Rows of flaming torches lined the walls, and she could see a circular stone well set in the centre of the room from which the vortex of magic emanated. She lay there, face pressed against the cold stone.  She rolled and tried to regain her feet, but one of the Goblyns placed a cloven hoof in the middle of her back and forced her to the floor.

Several tall robed figures stood around the dark swirling cloud, chanting and inscribing mystical signs in the air.

Keeping the magic flowing, she thought. If only she had some means of disrupting them.

One of the figures turned away from the well and strode towards her.

A hand reached for her slight form. Gripping her cloak, it lifted her effortlessly into the air. Eyes as black as coal regarded her from beneath the shadowed cowl. 

'Princess Meriol is it. I must say that this is a pleasant surprise,' Ceridin Ravengaard declared. 'You are supposed to be buried beneath a mountain of rock.' he pushed back the hood of his cloak. 'What of your companions, did they also manage to escape? It seems I shall have to have words with Maelgwn if he returns from the errand I sent him on.' 

A cruel smile formed on his bearded, windburned face. 'I must congratulate the Elves on being a particularly tenacious race. I would have thought you all long gone by now. Still, it will give me immense pleasure to finally be the architect of your downfall.'

Meriol twisted uneasily in his grasp. 'Do your worst Warlock,' she screamed, bringing up her legs and kicking out at him.

Laughing he flung her to the ground. 'Do not worry Princess. I fully intend to.'