Chapter Twenty-five - The Daybringer

FROM FAR AWAY JESSICA HEARD THE SOUND of the great doors being swung open. Then a disturbance came from the hallway beyond the council chambers. A unit of Dwarf soldiers marched in led by a red-bearded Dwarf wearing a cloak of almost the same hue. Danielle and George followed close behind. Jessica leapt up; tears flooded her eyes when she saw them. 

'Sorry...' she called out apologetically to Kilder Gom. She raced forward, dodging the guards, who swiftly parted ranks as she sped towards them. Jumping into her brother and sister's arms they hugged them both.

'I didn't think I would ever see you again,' sobbed Danielle. 'When the cave roof collapsed, I thought you were...' she could not bring herself to say the word.

'Don't be silly, we were fine,' Jessica told her looking across to where Holt still sat with Kilder Gom. For the first time, she noticed the two guards that stood close behind him. 

They're still not taking any chances, she thought. 

A half smile crossed Holt's face and he raised a hand and waved in acknowledgement.

'I knew you would be okay,' laughed George. 'You're much too stubborn for anything to happen too.' 

'General, where are the others?' the Dwarf King inquired.

Mard Rythorn stepped forwards and bowed. 'They are detained in the hallway Sire. We await your word as to what is to be done with them.'

'Escort them in at once, General,' the King announced sharply. 

General Rythorn signalled, and the Elves and the Giant were hurriedly ushered forward. Princess Meriol and Captain Thrax stepped forwards followed by Altard, Eldon and the remainder of the Elves. A line of Dwarf soldiers marched either side, keeping a wary eye on them.

They stopped in front of the dais and Meriol bowed before the King.

'Greetings from the Elven people, King of the Dwarves,' she announced. 'I am Princess Meriol of the Royal House of Oryxicus.' she introduced each member of the party in turn.

The King nodded a greeting to each one, casting an eye over the gathering and noting their bedraggled look. 

'Greeting to you and your party, Meriol of the Elves,' the King responded gently. 'Listening to young Jessica's story, we apparently have much to discuss. But you have travelled far, perhaps you and your party wish to wash and rest before we carry on.'

'I thank you, but time is of the essence,' Meriol explained. 'We do not know how long we have until Ravengaard succeeds in breaking through the barriers back into this world.'

'I understand the urgency,' the King sighed softly, 'But we need to discuss the Daybringer. You can see the problem I face. I cannot merely hand it over to you, especially if you already possess the other three pieces of the Arcs of Heaven. Such a powerful weapon wielded by just one race. That is not the way it was meant to be.' 

Eldon pushed forward. Several Dwarf troopers moved to intercept him, spears raised. He brushed them aside, others leapt upon him to try and pull him to the floor, but Eldon continued forcing his way to the front. A unit of Dwarf archers raced forward and formed up in ranks, their bows raised to protect the King.

Meriol and Captain Thrax stepped in front of the charging Giant. 

'Eldon,' Rosewing shouted. 'Stand down.'

'I am sorry My Lady... Your Majesty, members of the council.' Eldon boomed, acknowledging the chamber. 'But this is going to take too long. We cannot afford a long discussion about the rights and wrongs of possessing the Arcs of Heaven. While we stand here debating, Ravengaard could be making his move. We need to be there to stop him. I, among all the races who stand here today, know what he is capable of. I am the last of my race. I was but a youngster when Ravengaard laid waste to my homeland destroying all who had dared to stand against him. But for my father's bravery and the luck of the gods, I would not be here to argue our cause. I will vouch that everything we have told you this day is the truth. There is no trickery involved and to delay any longer would be foolhardy. If allowed to grow stronger Ravengaard will reap his havoc on the surface world. But he will not stop there. Afterwards, he will seek you out and destroy your world.'