Chapter Seventeen - Plans

A FEW DAYS LATER THEY GATHERED ONCE AGAIN in the grassy glade that surrounded Ceridwen's cottage. It was early evening and the weather remained pleasantly warm. The setting sun was just beginning to sink towards the tree line, washing the walls of the little cottage and the surrounding area with a crimson glow. 

Ceridwen earlier prepared platters of food and drinks and had brought them into the clearing in readiness for the arrival of her guests.

Holt and Eldon were already there when the children arrived. Holt was his usual grumpy self, nodding a quick greeting, then went back to gnawing on a chicken leg. Eldon scooped them up in his great arms, roaring with delight at seeing them again. 

'We are both glad to see you are well,' he told them, glancing towards the Gnome.

Holt scowled and shook his head. 'You speak for yourself,' he muttered through a mouthful of food.  

'And we are happy you've returned from your journey unhurt. Both of you,' Danielle said, winking at the Giant.

Eldon laughed. 'Come and sit, enjoy some food and drink. We have much to discuss. The Elves should get here soon.' he guided them over to where Ceridwen was sat beneath the spread branches of the oak tree. Sorrow lay at her feet, his eyes closed, but the twitch of his ears showed that he was still alert for danger. 

Greeting the White Witch with hugs and kisses, the children quickly told her of their adventure beneath the house and how they had managed to retrieve the jewel. Danielle pulled the stone from her pocket. She held it out in the palm of her hand; it pulsed with a strange red glow in the dying rays of the sun. Ceridwen reached over and gently took it from her.

'The Starheart,' she said almost in a whisper. 'Thanks to you and our two friends,' she glanced at Holt and Eldon. 'That is two of the artifacts retrieved. When Princess Meriol arrives with the Moonblade that will be the third piece of our puzzle.  We just need the one that was given to Dwarves, to enable us to complete the spell of banishment.' 

They grabbed some food and sat with Ceridwen.

George and Jessica seated themselves next to Sorrow. The wolf-dog stirred when Jessica waved a slice of ham under his nose. He opened one eye and surveyed the offering. The meat disappeared in an instant.

Holt tutted. 'You will spoil that dog, make him soft. He is Ceridwen's eyes and ears out here, her protection.'

'Sorry,' Jessica said sheepishly.

'Pay him no heed child,' smiled the Witch. 'It will take more than a slice of ham to make a Vorkun go soft.'

Sorrow sat up, he yawned lazily and stretched his huge frame. Sorrow stood and looked at Ceridwen. Then as if in answer to some unspoken command, he turned a trotted off across the clearing and disappeared among the trees.  

Danielle could not remember eating as much as she had recently. Living in the countryside certainly gave you an appetite. She hoped the Princess would not be too long in arriving. They had told Mum and Dad they were going for a brief walk before supper. Although they had seemed a little surprised, because it was the school holidays, they had not minded. But that did not mean they could stay out too long. 

While they waited, Eldon regaled them with the story of how they had managed to steal away the Amulet of Hidden Ways from Shabur Varg. He managed to embellish it a little, making out he had played a considerably more significant part in its acquisition than he really had. This was much to Holt's annoyance, and the Gnome was about to explode and say something when the Elves suddenly appeared.

Altard's blue orb materialized close by and when it burst, he, Meriol and Malin Thrax stepped out into the woodland glade. The children leapt to their feet and rushed to meet them.