Chapter Twenty-nine - Return to the Cottage

THE CAMPFIRES OF THE MASSIVE Goblyn army spread out from the forbidding tower of Ravens Bane, down towards the rushing rain-swollen waters of River Coblyn. Across the stream Elven sentries crouched in watchful readiness, awaiting any signs of another assault.

Night had fallen, and after the attacks earlier in the day neither side had ventured forth. Instead, they had consolidated their positions, gathered their forces and waited for each other to make the next move.

Pockets of fire still burned at the edge of the battlefield, remnants of the earlier bombardments. In among the smouldering wreckage of their war machinery Trolls toiled in the mud and rain, desperately trying to salvage what they could. Grunts and guttural shouts rose from those gathered around the fires and from somewhere in the vast camp, a Goblyn shaman called upon whatever gods they worshipped to grant them victory in the impending battle.

Earlier, from her position on the hill above Whytewytch Wood, Danielle looked out across the whole of the valley. Slowly the fields and roadways she knew faded away as Ravengaard's magic somehow wound back time to a corrupted version of how it looked long ago. A land of vast forests and rolling hills. Now, in the darkness and relentless rain, she shivered and gathered the Elven cloak tightly around herself. According to the Elves, if not stopped soon, then the magic would spread until the whole land was returned to its ancient past.

She glanced towards the small hidden campfire where Jessica curled up fast asleep. George was also trying to get some rest but without much success. She guessed the situation also troubled him.

'You really should get some sleep whilst you can,' said Meriol who sat beside her. 'We cannot accomplish anything until first light.'

'I doubt I will be able to sleep,' Danielle said softly. 'I'm worried about our Mum and Dad. Do you think we'll ever see them again?'

'Of course, you will,' answered the Elven Princess. 'If all goes well, once the others are in position we will reverse the spells and all will revert to normal.'

'But what if things don't go right, what will happen then?' Danielle asked anxiously.

'Do not despair...nothing will go amiss,' Meriol assured her, although Danielle could tell from the hesitation in her voice that the Princess was worried. She told the children what they needed to hear. But with nothing heard from General Rythorn since he returned to the Dwarf city. He had not returned with his army as promised. It was possible they decided to remain in Annwn Deep, hoping that Ravengaard would not seek them out.

They will not let us down, Danielle told herself.

She looked out across the Goblyn encampment to the forest beyond. She thought of the Elves hidden in the trees. Waiting.

She had seen the attacks of that afternoon and evening, seen the damage done to Ravengaard's mighty army.

Perhaps there was a chance after all.

She hoped nothing had happened to Malin; she knew he would be heavily involved in the action. She had seen the way Meriol looked at him and knew she was fond of him.

'Come, try and get some rest,' the Princess whispered from beside her.

Together they made their way back to the campfire. Danielle would try and get some much-needed sleep. But somehow she doubted that it would come easily.

The new day dawned grey and misty over the Warlocks Chair. Light rain continued to fall. Out over the far horizon lightning flashed, followed moments later by the distant rumbles of thunder.