Chapter Nineteen - Rhun Maelgwn

THE GOBLYNS REACHED THE FIRST CHAMBER. There were about a dozen of them, armoured and heavily armed. Crude bird heads emblazoned on their chest plates. Hoof and claw clicked and scratched as they clambered down onto the sandy floor. Torches held aloft they surveyed the cavern.

'It is clear masters,' one called back in a strange echoing voice.

Another Goblyn appeared in the opening, this one a little taller and more muscular than the others. He carried an array of weapons strapped to the tarnished armour that sheathed his body. A rusting broad sword along with various knives and axes hung from a heavy belt at his waist, while a small crossbow was fixed to its wrist. The yellow in its dark eyes glimmering in the torchlight it shouted down to the others.

'Find out which way they went,' its harsh voice resounding around the cavern. 'They were here; I can still smell that human stench.'

It turned to the tall gaunt figure that stood beside it, shying away as if he had only just noticed him. 

'I did not mean...' the Goblyn started to say.

The tall figure cut him off mid-sentence. 'I know what you meant, just find them,' he hissed snakelike.

Rhun Maelgwn waved a bloodless hand and floated gently from the ledge to the sandy floor of the cavern

Rhun Maelgwn waved a bloodless hand and floated gently from the ledge to the sandy floor of the cavern. His dark robes were intricately woven with silver runes and tied at the waist with a crimson sash that flapped loosely around his skeletal form. The skin of his hands and face held a deathly pallor, stretched paper thin and translucent in the torchlight. 

Maelgwn, a Wizard of the First Order and Ceradin Ravengaard's agent on this world commanded the Brothers of the Raven. It was Ravengaard who ordered the cult to track down the children and once and for all, put an end to any threat they may pose. If he could not possess the children, then he meant to make sure no one else would ever use the magic they controlled. 

The Wizard vowed to do Ravengaard's bidding after several failed attempts had driven the Warlock to the point of madness. Some would say that after the years of exile he was long past that point. But Rhun Maelgwn was not one of them. He had been with Ravengaard since the beginning. He had seen the Warlock's plans come almost to fruition. But then, at the last moment, thwarted by an alliance of Elf and Men.  

Exiled along with the others and old even then. Maelgwn had kept himself alive using magic. That and the promise that when they finally returned, he could have his choice of a new body. Once he had fleetingly toyed with the idea of treachery but quickly decided against it. Even from behind the barrier, Ravengaard's reach was long, as others had found to their misfortune. 

The weakening of the barrier had allowed him, at immense pain, to be sent through to execute Ravengaard's wishes. He had formed the Raven Cult to carry out those orders and pave the way for his master's return.