Chapter 28: Stand Down

Xao:

The angels were apparently in mid-conversation when I asked my question. We could see their lips moving, but nothing seemed to be coming out. Course, they were angels so we had enough questions about how we could see and hear them so we weren't about to start asking why we suddenly couldn't, as that seemed like the natural order. Still, when they finally looked back at us, you could see they weren't even phased by people waiting on them.

Michael looked over at us and I could just read their lips- "Um... Michael, you are remembering we're visible right?"

"Oh, that's why they're looking at us- oh! Isn't that funny?"

And thus Michael's voice became audible again as he said, "Ah yes children, what are you needing?" The two resumed their human forms. Their angelic forms looked strange, but a part of me sensed we only had glimpses of their true forms, even when they weren't in human guise.

I shook my head. "We need to know how long you two will be sticking around."

"Thor will be staying with you until you are able to deliver your sample to the pharaohs," Michael said. "That should be sufficient."

"I mean- he doesn't give a crap about us and I'm pretty sure you're the better fighter but- beggars can't be choosers I guess," Kyle said. "You sure?" He gave a cringe as I felt one coming on myself.

"Thanks immensely for the vote of confidence," Thor said with lowered eyebrows.

"Oh put a sock in it, you were ready to abandon us." Kyle snapped.

"Now why would that be the case?" asked Michael of his counter.

"Cause Thor is an angelic coward," Kyle said, folding his arms- and I was back to wishing I knew how to shut him up- as I'm sure a number of us were. Kyle seemed to notice the negative attention but just waved his hand. "Yeah, yeah, I'm past being shocked by this whole situation and scared as I was of that Gilgamesh guy, Thor hardly inspires fear or confidence- you all know I'm right." Much as we all had our reservations about disrespecting either of these beings that could kill us all without meaningful resistance, no one apparently had a defense to offer for the hammer-wielding celestial. "He was scared the hosts would show up if someone said the name of Jesus too much so we were able to basically blackmail him into staying with us. We really only kept him around because Maelstrom couldn't hurt him... of course, I suppose that hasn't changed at least."

The fact that Michael cringed at that statement was NOT at all promising.

"You're kidding," Kyle said. Thor shrugged. "You have to be kidding. What did he do?"

"He's powerful, that I knew from the start but- he's really smart. The guy is always analyzing and changing his tactics and- he found a way to control my hammer for at least a little while. It didn't last but that he did it at all... I can't call myself invincible to him."

"But why did you become involved in the first place?" asked Michael of Thor.

Thor looked down and gave a growl. "Look, the girl needed help okay? I had watched those monsters torture her long enough and... and I wanted to be her hero." He folded his arms but didn't look to meet anyone's gaze. "I do care for humans- I didn't always but after I caused so much suffering before... look you're not the first people I've helped in these parts, and you won't be the last. I'll stay as long as I feel I can manage the threat- within reason. I am looking to avoid oblivion after all."

"Oh joy," Kyle said with a sigh. "Glad to know that if things get bad, you'll have our backs like a celestial scared bunny."

"Kyle," Michael said, a serious tone present in his voice. "From the Father, I have a request."