Chapter 1

Standing in the doorway of what I now considered home, I found myself contemplating the profound difference between a house and a home. For a long time, the concept of 'home' had been elusive to me, a transient idea that seemed just out of reach. But in this place, in Sanctum, I was beginning to understand its true essence. Home, I realized, was more than just a physical space. It was where calmness resided, where safety was a given, not a luxury. Home was where love and appreciation flowed freely, where every corner echoed with warmth and acceptance. It was a place where the heart felt comfortable enough to be vulnerable, to be genuine without fear of judgment.

For years, I had searched for this sense of belonging, moving through different places and experiences. But only now, in Sanctum, amidst the struggles and victories we had shared, was I starting to truly grasp what home could be – a sanctuary, a haven of peace amid the chaos of life. As I stood there, lost in these thoughts, my anticipation grew. I was waiting for Gaia and Madi, eager to welcome them into this newfound sanctuary. The sight of them walking up the hill towards the house filled me with a sense of contentment. I opened the door wider, just in time to see Picasso, our loyal companion, dash out excitedly to greet them. His joyous energy was infectious, and without hesitation, I followed suit, stepping out to welcome them back.

As I approached Gaia and Madi, I was greeted with smiles and a sense of familial warmth. Picasso was already circling around them, his tail wagging in delight. The scene was simple yet profoundly meaningful – a moment of peace, a snapshot of the life we were building here. In that moment, with Madi's laughter mingling with Gaia's gentle words, surrounded by the natural beauty of Sanctum and the comfort of familiar faces, I felt a profound sense of belonging. This was what home felt like – a place where we could lay down our burdens, where we could find joy in the small moments, and where we could be ourselves, unguarded and true.

"Hello," Madi greeted with a bright smile, her hand gently petting Picasso who eagerly soaked up the attention. "You said I could start school today, why are we here?"

I returned her smile, a sense of pride and happiness swelling within me. "I thought maybe you guys would like to see our new home," I explained. "Russell built it for Simone so she'd have a place that reminded her of the farm she grew up on, back on Earth before the bombs. Picasso comes with it."

Madi's eyes lit up at the mention of keeping the dog. "We can keep her?" she giggled as Picasso affectionately licked her face. Looking down at her delighted expression, a smile naturally spread across my face.

When I nodded in confirmation, Madi's joy overflowed. She leaped into my arms, her hug warm and enthusiastic. "Thank you, Kegan," she exclaimed, her voice filled with gratitude and excitement.

"Let's go inside," I suggested, setting her down.

Madi didn't need to be told twice. She raced up the walkway, Picasso playfully chasing after her. The sight of her happiness was a balm to my soul, a reminder of the small joys that life could offer even after all we had been through.

I turned to Gaia, who had been watching the scene with a tender smile. Our eyes met, and there was a shared understanding of the significance of this moment. It was more than just moving into a new house; it was about creating a new beginning, finding peace after the turmoil we had faced. Together, we walked towards the house, following Madi's cheerful lead. Every step towards the house felt like a step towards a future we were ready to build and cherish.

As Gaia and I strolled towards the house, her sigh broke the comfortable silence. "I don't know what I like less," she admitted, "lying about the Flame or making Madi pretend she's still Commander."

I glanced at her, understanding the dilemma. "Indra thinks it could split Wonkru," I said, voicing the concern that had been weighing on us all. "You don't agree?"