-3-

I spent the weekend in bed watching Netflix and eating ice cream with my phone switched off (I didn't want to hear from Audrey). I told my parents that I was feeling ill and would like a rest. They told me to get better before school on Monday as I couldn't mess up my perfect attendance. Naturally they wanted to know what had upset me but they had no idea that I was at a party. They thought I had been studying with Audrey at her place and I was not about to tell them otherwise. My parents cared too much about my future to let me jeopardize it by partying instead of studying. They could get pretty violent when they found out that I was doing anything other than studying.

Finally, Monday came around and I knew that I would have to get out of bed. I took a long hot shower and got dressed in a pair of jeans and a maroon sweater over a white shirt. I was too lazy to do my hair so I just left it in an untidy mess and ran down the stairs.

My parents had already gone to work as usual, so I made myself some toast and left the house, running over to my neighbor Jordan. He was already outside waiting for me, and greeted me with a hug. I felt so warm and comfortable around him. He had been my closest friend since we were kids and almost everyone assumed that we had dated for a while, but the truth is that Jordan is just a really good friend. Even though he had graduated two years ago, we were still good friends.

"Baby girl, you are a mess" , he said while looking in horror at my messy hair. Jordan had dark brown hair which was always neat and he had an impeccable sense of style. His dream was to become a fashion designer and he was always trying out new and fabulous designs on me. Right now he was searching in his bag and came up with two hair scrunches which he used to magically hold my hair into place.

"There" , he said with an approving look. "So, how was the weekend party. Did you meet anyone good looking?", he winked.

"Not  even close", I said. "Let's  get into your car and I'll tell you about it."

Jordan smiled knowingly and opened the door to his Toyota Prius. I got in and waited for him to be comfortably seated before he started driving as I told my story.

By the time we reached the school gates, I was nearly at the end.

"...and he just drove off leaving me on the road.", I frowned. "Then  I spent the whole week with my phone off because I didn't want to talk to Audrey."

Jordan  was looking at me with an intrigued expression. "He just left you like that? Jeez Candy that's so romantic. How was he? Was he hot?"

I rolled my eyes. How like Jordan to find some mystery romance in this and ask if the guy was hot. He is a well known player and is always looking out for someone new and exciting to date.

He saw my expression and smiled. He knew I wasn't into romance. Other than him, I'd never had even one boyfriend which was considered very low for someone about to graduate high school. My parents were very strict about anything that wasn't academic, so I barely had any time to socialize with people, not to even talk of dating someone. The party that I attended was practically my first party, and most likely my last, since I did not enjoy the experience. I like my life quiet and drama free.

Jordan was always encouraging me to date more often. Easy for him to say. Half of the girls and boys in my school were still having dreams about him.

"Come on Candy", he urged me. "This guy might just be the one. For you, obviously, even though I think I might have a pretty good chance with him."

"Even if he was the one," I said looking at Jordan, "he drove off remember. I can't even contact him and there's no way he even knows who I am. It was just luck I guess - bad luck"

Jordan gave a dramatic sigh and I grinned.

We were just outside the school grounds, in the parking lot. As usual, there were a lot of cars there and I was just about to say goodbye to Jordan when suddenly, I noticed the most impressive looking black Mercedes driving into the lot. Jordan saw the car and whistled.

"Who in heavens name owns that beauty" , he murmured appreciatively.

I was just about to answer that I didn't know when suddenly the passengers' door opened, and out stepped a gorgeous man with black hair, dressed in a black suit. I stared at his face in shock.

It was the stranger from Friday night.