-9-

"I am going to kill that guy" , Jordan fumes angrily.

I had come back home thirty minutes ago, dripping in tears and snot, when I saw Jordan at the dinner table. He was waiting to see my parents about something, but as he took in my appearance, he took me up the stairs to my room, handed me a Mars chocolate bar, and waited until I calmed down before he asked me to tell him the whole story.

And I did.

Which is why he now wants to march over to Xaviers house and murder him in cold blood. The whole scene would be funny if I hadn't just finished crying my eyes out.

'How dare he", Jordan continues ranting. "That is bad treatment there and I won't stand for it. Having the body of a Greek god and the wealth of a king doesn't give one the right to treat a lady so shabbily."

"It's ok Jordan", I sigh. "He's just proven that he can get any girl he wants, and I was a fool for even having feelings for him. He probably wants someone experienced and not a dumb high school kid who's never even..."

"Stop doing that, stop putting yourself down Candace", he says and I'm surprised. He only ever calls me my full name when he's angry, and he must be really angry at Xavier right now. I hope, for Xavier's sake, that he never has to come across Jordan like this or he wouldnyt stand a chance.

"So how long does the internship program last?", Jordan asks, when he has finally calmed down.

"I am not sure really" , I respond. "The school will probably inform us soon."

"I hope it isn't for much longer", Jordan huffs irritably and I have to smile at the situation.

***

I'm at the dinner table with my parents and Jordan. Dad and Jordan are talking about business and if maybe Dad's company could fund Jordan's new clothing line, while I am trying to blend into the table and not cry anymore.

"Why aren't you eating Candace" , my mom asks. My parents never call me 'dear' or even 'Candy'. I'm always Candace to them.

"I already ate mom" , I reply in as polite a tone as I can muster.

Her mouth goes into a straight line, and I can see that she is going to make an issue out of this. "When did you eat? With whom? Do you have a boyfriend now? Is that why you got an A minus in your last test. Are you going to be a disappointment to me?"

My father and Jordan are staring at us, and I blush to the roots of my hair. "I'm doing an internship and the owner of the company took me out for lunch mom", I say quietly, nearly in a whisper.

My mother glares at me and warns me to stay focused in school and to keep my grades up. "I don't want you slacking off when you're due to graduate in three months. Don't embarrass me."

I respond in the affirmative and she tells me to go to my room which I do. I wait in bed for her to come and collect my phone for the night, which she does eventually. I am not in the mood to stalk Xavier online right now. I'm annoyed and sad all at once and I just need to sleep.

***

I am up early and eager for school. I check my laptop and I see an email from school which reads as follows:

Dear Students,

Due to your upcoming exams, it will be impossible to spend all day at your internship program. Your internship will therefore take place every day after school from 3pm to 5:30pm. This inconvenience will only be for two weeks. You will not be working on weekends.

P.S: Note that your internship will be assessed by Mr Reyes and will make up 20% of your grades.

Sincerely,

The School Management.

What the flying fish!

I am going to be working with Xavier for two weeks.

I am going to be graded by Xavier based on my work with Xavier.

I bang my head against the desk in frustration. I have to spend two hours and thirty minutes with Xavier every day.

Could I have a worse start to my morning?

I glance at my clock and see that I may be late if I dont hurry up, so I rush into the bathroom and get ready. I dont have time to carefully pick an outfit, so I throw on the first thing I see which is a black top with a pair of white pants. I run out of the house, taking a piece of toast with me. Thank goodness I am not late. I still have enough time to enjoy a leisurely walk to school and, within twenty minutes, I am sitting in my first period class, getting ready to copy notes from the board.

***

"Candy are you sure you are ok?" , Audrey asks me, looking concerned. We just finished English Lit. which was the last period of the day and I was so distracted that, according to Audrey, Justin Bieber could have walked in and I wouldnt have noticed. That's possible though if Lil Nas X walked in, nothing could distract me. Anyhow, I digress.

I hadn't told Audrey what had happened between me and Xavier and for some reason, I didn't want to. She was still my bff but I just didn't feel comfortable telling her about it until I knew where Xavier and I stood.

I took a deep breath, "I think I might have a crush on Xavier Reyes and I'm nervous to be around him". Well that's partially the truth though I wouldnt describe what I have for Xavier as a crush; it feels way deeper and more confusing.

I look at Audrey to see her reaction but she seems to be taking it calmly.

"Of course you feel that way about Xavier", she says wisely. "He's handsome, rich and his childhood is so harsh that it makes you want to just protect him from the world."

Wait his childhood?

"What do you mean about his childhood?" , I ask.

"Well obviously the whole deal of him being in that stinking orphanage and then being sent off to military school. And lets not forget his competitive brother who is an actual Reyes. Poor Xavier has had it really hard."

Why did I not search up more on Xaviers life?

Because you were busy drooling over his Instagram pics, the voice in my head snarkily responds and I ignore it.

Audrey has no idea that I didnt know all this and is now blabbing about how awesome her job in Xaviers fashion industry with and how the cheerleaders have asked her to audition for them. I'm happy for her though I dont really like the cheerleaders - they are mean and love making girls like me feel horrible, just because I'm not as rich as they are. Still, Audrey seems happy, and Im pleased to see that.

I'm still nervous though.

Jordan is waiting for me in the parking lot and I am mortified to see that I am running late. It is already 3pm. I should already be there. I rush into the passenger seat and Jordan drives off to Reyes Industry.

"If that" , he calls Xavier a nasty name, "does anything, tell me. I'm already picking out his coffin."

I smile, and rush into the elevator hoping that Xavier is not around. When the door opens, I notice that Xaviers office is locked, and I heave a sigh of relief. Maybe he doesnt know that I'm late.

I walk to my office door and put my hand on the handle, which opens the door easily.

Strange, didn't I lock it yesterday?

I step in and I'm horrified to see Xavier Reyes sitting on the chair behind my desk, going through my papers.

He looks up when I enter, and his green eyes meet mine. His expression is unreadable. Anger, yes, but something else. Relief?

"You left the key in the lock Miss Greene.", his voice is a calm sound. 'And you are late", his voice sharpens a bit.

"I am sorry for arriving late Mr Reyes" , I say in my best placating tone.

"You're lucky I'm in a good mood today Miss Greene", he says, his mouth quirking upwards.

He gets up and walks towards the door, brushing by me. He stops and whispers in my ear. "Come late again, and I won't let you off easily"

I flush deeply as he makes his way out of the office, leaving me alone with the memory of his breath on my skin.