-1-

I frown in frustration at my reflection with its unruly hair. Silently, I curse my bff Audrey for making me go through this. I should be at home relaxing and enjoying my Friday evening, but someone decided to have a birthday which Audrey felt we needed to attend since I was technically socially dead.

I don't know what her deal is but I like being socially dead. However, my darling bff who is obsessed with being popular decided that this weekend, we needed a party to step up our social lives so here I am at 7pm, trying to tame my messy hair.

After trying and failing to control my hair with a brush, I give up and have it loose like a long mane. The loud honk of a car downstairs tells me that Audrey has arrived and I quickly step back from the mirror to survey my appearance. Sans the messy hair, I look quite presentable. I am wearing a black long sleeved top with blue jeans and my dark brown hair helps to emphasize my huge dark brown eyes. My pink lips have just the faintest glimmer of lip gloss and, while I may not be pretty, I look alright.

Another horn blast and I knew Audrey was getting impatient. I quickly ran downstairs and out the door, stopping only to hug my parents who remind me that curfew is by 11pm and no later. I can tell that they are very uncomfortable with me going out, but they think this is a study date so they aren't complaining. 

To be honest, my parents can be pretty violent about anything that is not related to studies, so I had to lie to get them to agree. However, my parents are an issue for a different night.

Outside the door, I see Audrey leaning beside her blue sporty Mercedes, and wow, she looks, different.

Her long golden hair is in a ponytail and she's wearing a stunning-  though very short- red miniskirt and a white off shoulder top. The makeup is piled on her face, and I wonder if we're going to a party or a beauty pageant.

"Who are you and what have you done with Audrey", I joke as I get into the car.

Audrey laughs as she guns the engine.

"At least I'm dressed appropriately for a party", she giggles. "You look like you are not going to fit in at all."

I look at my outfit and I shrug. I feel like I look alright and I say so to Audrey who just laughs at me. Somehow, I have a bad feeling about this evening.

* * *

Thirty minutes at the party and I am ready to leave. The party is full of college students who have spent the whole night drinking, dancing and making out. Audrey was right: I do not fit in at all. The instant we walked in, all the boys swarmed over her and her short miniskirt and she's been with them all evening. She's been drinking and, to my shock, smoking something that is probably marijuana. I've just sat in a corner so far, being ignored by the boys and eyed strangely by the girls. I feel annoyed and decide to go wash up in the bathroom. It should be somewhere upstairs I think.

I run up the stairs and see a lot of rooms with shut doors. Well one of those rooms must contain a bathroom. I open the nearest door and immediately, I gasp with horror. Audrey, my best friend, is sitting topless on a bed while three guys surround her. I hear her laugh, a high pitched sound as one of the guys leans forward and kisses her. I am dumbfounded. She must be drunk or high, maybe both. I have to get her out of here. Who knows what will happen if I don't.

I walk up to her and shake her shoulder. She glances at me blankly before recognition hits her and she starts a slow, lazy smile.

"Audrey were getting out of here, now", I say in my most stern voice, glaring at her and the guys who have now surrounded us.

Audrey looks at me, confused. "Aren't you having fun Candy", she slurs and I can see that she won't be able to drive us this evening. She's far too drunk.

"No", I whisper-shout at her. "I am not having fun and neither are you. These guys are dangerous and we need to leave now."

Suddenly, Audrey's eyes widen in anger and she glares at me.

 "You leave if you want to, she snaps at me. I'm staying here. You're just jealous that I have all the attention of the guys because you just aren't pretty enough to attract any guys. You're trying to spoil my fun because I'm not sad and lonely like you. Well get out if you're not having fun but don't expect me to follow you", and with that, she turns her back on me.

I am frozen, unable to move or speak. I have known Audrey for years, and she has never spoken to me like this, not even when she was drunk.

Slowly, I snap out of my shock before stepping out of the room, oblivious to the shouts of "ooh snap" and other taunts from the guys in the room. I walk angrily, faster and faster, until I'm running out of the room, out of the party and out into the road. I am so angry, and running so fast that I barely register that I am now in the center of the road. I don't notice this until the bright headlight of a car startle me, coming straight at me.

I scream.

Then everything goes black.