-16-

I arrived at school in good time, and was met by Audrey who was just parking her car in the parking lot.

"Hey girlfriend, what's up?", she bounced up to me a smile on her face. She was dressed in a short pink dress with white heel and had on pink lipstick which I found so shocking. My friend seems to be fading into a different person who I cannot recognize, and I'm not sure if I like it. However, I have really missed my bff, so I smile at her as she hugs me, and try to hide my wince as she touches my back.

"What's wrong with you?", she questions, and I know that she noticed me wincing.

"I fell, and hit my back on the...sidewalk", I lie smoothly. I always tell her something like this, and I think she suspects that I'm lying, but she never presses me too much about it.

"Soo... how are you and Mr Reyes doing these days", she asks with a knowing smile as we start walking beside each other to the school building. I am glad at the turn of events, and before I know it, I'm telling her all about Sunday lunch with him.

"No way, you got to lunch with Xavier Reyes? I am so jealous", she teases while pushing me.

"Well at least you get to hang out with people at your job. I feel so lonely at my place of work."

Audrey laughs. "Yeah, I guess I am really lucky. I get to hang out with the cheerleaders and it's so cool. I'm already one of their group now", she says and she begins to tell me how she and the cheerleaders had teased one of the ninth grade members of the chess club.

"It was so hilarious", she laughed. "The dude looked like he was going to pee his pants."

I don't laugh though, because I don't find it really funny. I am about to say so, when Audrey speaks again.

"OMG, I almost forgot. Your turning eighteen in two days' time", she practically squeals, and I smile. I almost thought that she had forgotten.

"So are we going to hang out at the arcade again this year?", I ask. Ever since Audrey and I met, which was when I transferred to this school in tenth grade, we've had a birthday tradition of visiting the arcade.

"Actually, I'm thinking of something different this year. I want us to..."

But at that moment, the cheerleaders come up, and Audrey practically pushes me in her haste to run over to them.

I am left standing alone in the hallway.

***

School was extremely stressful because our last year exams are coming up in a few months, and the teachers really want us to do well. I was glad when I the bell finally rang to signal the end of English Lit. Now I could get off to work to see Xavier.

Xavier

A pit suddenly appeared in my stomach as I recalled his words from Sunday.

Candace, you should steer clear of me. I'm not the man for you

I had never been rejected before, mainly because I have never been outgoing or tried to pursue anyone. Like ever. Xavier was the first guy that I really liked and his rejection hurt me more than the welts on my back.

I made my way to the parking lot where Jordan was waiting for me, and we rode on in silence till we reached Xavier's company – I mean what could we say to each other.

I made my way to my office without any incident, but just as I sat down, Linda burst in, and I could tell that she had been crying.

"Omg what's wrong Linda?", I asked in concern, though I had a sneaking suspicion about the cause of her tears, and I was proved right with her next words.