-28-

"So how is he, or do I need to slap some sense into him?", Jordan asks, and I laugh. It has been three weeks since I moved back in with Xavier, and it has been total bliss. Of course, Jordan only allowed me move back after he had properly threatened Xavier, and given him a full detailed account of all the various forms of torture that he would endure if he broke my heart again.

Jordan is the brother that I never had. Sometimes, he makes me wonder about my sister, Ava. Would she have been this protective of me? I barely remember anything about her because I was so young when my parents kicked her out.

"Xavier is treating me well", I reply to Jordan's question. We are shopping at Tiffany's. Jordan got accepted into a huge fashion company, and we are throwing a party tomorrow night to celebrate it. Of course, this is also going to be the moment when he asks Linda the big question, and he is nervous about it. I don't know why though – it's quite obvious that she is going to say yes.

However, Jordan is still nervous, and I've endured weeks of him getting cold feet. Now, as a salesgirl brings a ring, he shakes his head.

"For goodness' sake, what is wrong with that ring?", I ask exasperatedly. "It's all wrong. It's too big and the diamonds don't bring out her eyes. You don't understand baby girl. I don't want to ruin this moment just because I picked out the wrong ring."

I smile. Jordan is cute when he is flustered. Looking down, I check my watch. It is five thirty, and I am to have dinner with Xavier and Louis by six. So I have fifteen minutes to help him find a ring.

"Let's get serious", I get up.

After what seems like hours of finding rings that are either too big, too small and too gaudy, Jordan finally finds it – the perfect ring. It is sleek with small diamonds, tightly clustered together to form a huge gem. Frankly it is beautiful.

"The price is beautiful too.", I gasp as I take in the sight of the price tag. Of course such a beautiful ring will have such a huge price.

Jordan waves me away. "Price is irrelevant when it comes to the lady you love. Also, my new job pays me a fortune."

Saying that, he carries the ring gently to the payment counter, and hands over his credit card without batting an eye. Despite his confidence, I wince, full of pity for his bank account. Linda is sure to say yes now.

Laughing, Xavier and I make our way to the exit.

"I'll see you at the party tomorrow right?", he says, as he hugs me.

"Of course. Xavier and I will be there unfailingly."

"Remind me again; where are you and Xavier going for your date?"

Just as I open my mouth to reply that we are going to the Cosmopolitan, I get a text on my iPhone – Xavier returned it to me when I moved back in with him.

Xavier: Change of plans. I'll meet you at the house. See you soon.

I show Jordan the text, and smile.

"I should probably get going. I don't want to be late."

Jordan frowns a bit. "Remind Xavier that if he so much as breaks your heart..."

"...you will, quote unquote break both his arms and make him wish that he was never born.", I finish with a smirk. "Don't worry Jordan. I'll be fine."

We hug again, and he enters his car, while I go to the car that Xavier gave to me. The driver – Alex – is in the driver's seat waiting for me.

"Where to miss?", Alex asks. No matter how many times I ask him, he refuses to call me Candy or even Candace.

"Back home Alex". I smile at how natural the word 'home' feels. Living with my parents, I never felt like it was my home – it was just the house of expectation. However, a few weeks at Xavier's place has practically removed those memories from my mind.