Idols

Minghao had been struggling to follow his medication schedule since travelling to China. The hour time zone difference was a struggle because he had to miss a dose right at the beginning, which threw his entire schedule out of whack.

All the contestants had been told that they had a busy day to start with. It was their first day on CYZJ, so hearing it was going to be busy wasn't a good thing.

Minghao had been struggling all day with his medication. He had intentionally missed his dose the previous day to allow for the time zone change, and since then he had been messing up doses and timings constantly. The first dose of his corticosteroids was a nightmare. He was already feeling the symptoms, hands trembling and body exhausted as he grabbed one pill from the box and filled up a cup of water. Since that dose, he kept messing up. When it was time to take his fludrocortisone pills, he messed up the dose and took too little, meaning that a few hours later he was curled up in bed counting down the minutes to his next dose. That evening he got Junhui to open the boxes and get the right number of pills so he couldn't mess up again and go into adrenal failure in his sleep.

The next day was filming for CYZJ. The aim of the day was to get into pairs and prepare for their solo stages which were to be performed the next day.

Minghao spent most of the day sitting down and waiting for the next time he could take his meds. At lunch, Samuel noticed something was up and asked about it.

As usual, Minghao was more than happy to explain as much as he could about Addison's disease and how the time zones were making his medication difficult to manage. Samuel listened carefully and respectfully, giving Minghao a big hug at the end almost as an apology.

Once lunch was finished they all went back to work.

The next day was the hardest Minghao had experienced since he fainted at the award show, which had been a good couple of months ago.

All-day he was feeling dizzy and weak. He had no clue how he made it to midday when they were performing. Minghao's performance was alright, but he guessed that was the adrenaline of being on stage supporting his body. Once he stepped off stage he started really struggling, supporting himself on the wall as he headed backstage.

Jiacheng was just heading out to perform, Zhennan was getting his makeup finished, Jony J and Longfei had disappeared somewhere and Yanan, Gong Ge and Eric were nowhere to be seen. Samuel was watching the performances and according to him, Junhui had gone in search of food.

Minghao collapsed onto the couch beside Samuel, watching as Jiacheng went on stage and began his performance.

"Hyung, are you okay?" Samuel asked in Korean.

Minghao shook his head weakly. "I think I'm gonna faint. Can you grab my bag from the makeup room? It has the Kermit keychain on the front."

Samuel nodded and ran off to grab Minghao's bag. He returned less than a minute later and set the bag down next to Minghao.

"Maybe you should put your head between your legs," Samuel suggested, opening the bag. "Now, what am I looking for."

"There should be a clear green box. It should have everything I need at the moment."

Samuel nodded and grabbed the box placing it on the side. He was just about to ask Minghao what to do next but when he looked up at the elder, he saw Minghao's eyes roll back into his head as he fell forward. Samuel only just managed to grab him as he fell, gently moving him to lie on the floor.

"Hao?" Samuel called, shaking Minghao's shoulder slightly. Minghao didn't respond at all. He quickly pulled off Minghao's red jacket and threw it to the side.

Samuel wanted to cry. His Hyung had just fainted and there was something he could do, he just didn't know what.

After a minute of panicking, Samuel grabbed the green box and his phone, went onto YouTube and searched 'Hydrocortisone Injection'. When he found a video, he clicked it and skipped to the important parts.

Samuel knew that following a YouTube video on how to give someone an emergency injection definitely wasn't the best idea, but he wasn't exactly in an ideal position with Minghao lying unconscious beside him.

He followed the steps of the video, getting out the vial of powder and the vial of liquid, opening the syringe, attaching the needle and adding the water to the powder. Once the powder had dissolved he drew it up into the syringe, expelling the air and turning it back to Minghao.

"I'm so sorry, Hyung," Samuel whispered, sticking the needle into Minghao's thigh through his trousers.

Once all the liquid had been pushed out and into Minghao's body, Samuel withdrew the needle and put it safely out of the way.

Samuel sat beside Minghao, waiting for him to wake up. Only five minutes after he'd given Minghao the injection, Junhui walked in, looking tired and bored.

The moment he saw Minghao's unconscious form he ran forward.

"Sammy, what happened?" Junhui asked in Korean.

Samuel wiped away the tears he hadn't realised he'd shed.

"I'm so sorry. I had to do it, Hyung. I don't want him to die." Samuel cried, wrapping his arms around Junhui. The Chinese man pulled the American close.

Junhui spotted the discarded needle and syringe, the two empty vials at Minghao's hip.

"You should've come to get me." Junhui sighed.

Samuel nodded. "I'm sorry, Hyung. I didn't mean to hurt him."

"You didn't hurt him," Junhui reassured the younger. "I'm more worried about what would have happened if you'd messed up. But you didn't, so it's okay."

Samuel nodded again, sniffling slightly as he heard Minghao waking up.

"I'm going to call him an ambulance. The injection only stabilises him for now. He'll still need a bit of treatment." Junhui explained, reaching for his phone and calling an ambulance.

Minghao woke up before the ambulance came, but as usual, he was confused and exhausted.

When the paramedics arrived, Junhui handed over Minghao's medical ID card from his bag and watched as they strapped Minghao to a gurney and took him outside. Junhui was allowed to join Minghao in the ambulance, and as he had finished his stage, the producers let him go.

—————————

Minghao and Junhui got back from the hospital at around midnight. Minghao had to get his cortisol and aldosterone levels checked, both of which came back low and resulted in more treatment.

Once he had been treated and his levels had been checked again, this time coming back normal, he was discharged.

When they got back to the hotel, Minghao first went to thank Samuel for giving him the emergency injection, praising him for how well done it was without any experience.

Minghao was truly thankful that Samuel had figured out how to use the kit, even if it was via YouTube. It kept him stable until he reached the hospital.

Once Samuel was thanked, Minghao and Junhui headed back to their hotel room, getting a good night's sleep for the next day of filming.