Adrenaline

Minghao stumbled off stage, vision swimming and stomach lurching. He could see someone walking beside him through his blurry vision.

"H-Hyung... My back hurts." Words slurring together as he winced at the shooting pain in his back. Was it his old injury? Had he aggravated it during that dance?

Someone grabbed his arm and tugged gently, leading him through to a more private room.

His legs gave out and the person grabbed him, carrying him the rest of the way to the private room.

"H-Hurts Hyung..." Minghao let out a soft whimper as he was jostled.

Minghao was set down on the couch and a water bottle was shoved towards his before his vision faded to black.

—————————

Wonwoo was the first person to notice Minghao's condition. It looked like a hypo, but Minghao looked too confused. He was paler than during a usual hypo.

"H-Hyung... My back hurts." Minghao slurred, looking up at the rapper.

Wonwoo grabbed him by the arm and started guiding him towards their dressing room. He barely made it a few steps when his legs gave out.

"H-Hurts Hyung..." Minghao whined.

The rapper was quick to grab him and carry him the rest of the way to their room. He laid Minghao down on the couch and saw Soonyoung try to pass him a water bottle.

Minghao just looked at the bottle for a moment, not taking it or even looking at Soonyoung.

"Do we have a blood sugar monitor?" Wonwoo yelled, a question directed at their leader.

Seungcheol nodded and brought Wonwoo the piece of kit.

They made quick work of pricking Minghao's finger and getting the reading, despite Minghao's uncoordinated strikes at Wonwoo.

Low.

Dangerously low.

"Okay, this is serious. Wonwoo, grab the dextrose gel, glucagon shot and sweets from Minghao's emergency kit. Soonyoung, get the medical team to call an ambulance. This is something we can only try to help with. He needs a hospital."

Soonyoung ran off to find the medical staff and Wonwoo grabbed Minghao's emergency bag, bringing it to Minghao's side for Seungcheol.

"Hyung, look at his skin," Wonwoo whispered, pointing to Minghao's exposed knees through the ripped jeans. The skin around the joints was covered in darker patches.

"Does anyone know about this?" Seungcheol called to the rest of the group, who were anxiously waiting to see if they could help.

Junhui raised his hand. "Addison's syndrome. I was researching the causes of hypoglycaemia in non-diabetics. It didn't seem likely but the symptoms matched. I thought he was naturally pale and skinny and of course, our lives are tiring so I didn't think anything of the fatigue." Junhui looked disappointed in himself for not noticing quicker.

"It's okay, Junnie. I wouldn't have thought so either, but did it say anything about this? Fainting and all this?" Seungcheol asked, knowing Junhui was upset but they needed answers before things took a turn for the worst.

Junhui thought for a few long moments. "Umm... yeah. An Addisonian crisis. It's a medical emergency. It can be triggered by physical stress."

Seungcheol sighed and took Minghao's hand. "We'll get you to the hospital. Junhui, go find Soonyoung and the medical staff and tell them what's going on."

Junhui nodded and ran off to find their performance leader.

"Wonwoo, can you look this up? See what we can do."

Wonwoo already had his phone out, doing exactly what Seungcheol told him to.

Wonwoo took Minghao's hand and wrapped it around his wrist. He told Minghao to squeeze as hard as he could. As he did, his hand started shaking, but Wonwoo frowned at the results. "He's really weak."

Minghao suddenly turned his head and leaned over to empty his stomach onto the floor.

Seungcheol could only look at him with wide eyes as he returned to lying limp on the couch.

Soonyoung and Junhui ran back into the room. "Ambulance is on its way." The younger of the two yelled, moving back towards Minghao.

Seungcheol looked at Minghao, watching as his eyes scanned the room in confusion.

He had to ask himself one thing.

Would Minghao make it?

—————————

Minghao woke up in the hospital, a few electrodes reading his heart rate and blood pressure and there was a blood sugar monitor on the small nightstand alongside a glass of water. He had three IVs stuck into his left elbow, left wrist and the back of his left hand.

His ripped jeans and loose black shirt had been replaced by an uncomfortable hospital gown.

Minghao rolled his head over to see Seungcheol in the chair beside the bed, eyes alert but slightly tired.

"Good to see you awake, HaoHao."

Seungcheol reached to ruffle Minghao's hair.

"Things got pretty serious yesterday." Seungcheol smiled softly.

"What happened?" Minghao whispered, voice weak and sore.

Seungcheol passed over the water. "Addisonian crisis. After the performance, your body was stressed. You have Addison's disease. You can't produce enough cortisol and aldosterone. It's what's been causing your hypos. They've given you corticosteroids, dextrose and saline solution."

"What can I do?" Minghao whispered, sitting up only to be gently pushed back onto the bed.

"The doctor said he will prescribe hormones. Hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone if I heard correctly. You will also need lots of salt in your diet. The doctor also recommended a medical ID bracelet so if you collapse without us someone can call an ambulance for you. You also need to carry a hydrocortisone injection kit. He also recommended keeping your glucagon injection kit on you as that was the worst symptom you had."

Minghao nodded slowly. "So this is the end of my career."

"Hey, who said that." Seungcheol snapped, upset that Minghao would think such a thing. "I won't let them kick you out. If they do, I'll leave. I'm sure the others will too."

Minghao smiled softly and nodded. "I mean, if I take the hormones, it'll be fine. No more hypos, less fatigue, I'll be stronger and better. Right."

"Right." Seungcheol nodded, taking Minghao's hand. "Now, you've had a long few days. Catch some more sleep before the doctor comes back."

Minghao lay down properly and smiled contently.

As Seungcheol watched Minghao falling asleep, he couldn't be happier. That was the closest he had ever come to losing a member. Seeing Minghao pale and barely conscious in the ambulance was one of the worst things he had ever seen. The IVs in his arms and electrodes on his chest and wrist told him that they weren't in the clear yet, but he was a lot better than before.

They were lucky their company would pay for Minghao's treatment. The doctor said with the hormone replacements he could live a healthy life, but would still need monitoring during performances. Seungcheol had already planned to get a few wise words on how to help Minghao from his doctor.

They had it all under control.