❧twenty three

A march down the aisle may very well be the longest walk any young lady ever takes. It does not simply cover the length of the church, but rather, countless floors for dancing, and meandering paths for every afternoon promenade too. It is a wonder, then, that feet do not tire or, heaven forbid, trip under the scrutiny of all those attentive eyes keeping close watch, indeed.

Anthony and I's wedding is to be small. Smaller than anyone in the ton cares for. All I care is that our family is there. I am happy to get married at Aubrey Hall instead of St George's.

I stand in one of the bedrooms. Georgie has been helping me get ready.

"You look beautiful," Georgie tells me.

I smile. "Thank you."

"Are you nervous?" Georgie asks.

"Not," I tell her.

"Are you excited?" Georgie asks.

"Yes," I tell her with a forced smile.

"I have spoken with Edwina," Georgie tells me. I nod my head. "I think she is coming around. I explained you were giving her space and that is why you have not tried to speak with her. She admitted she only thought she loved Anthony but upon seeing the two of you together she realised it was not love."

"I am glad she was not married to Anthony," I confess. "She would not like this life."

"She will also be in attendance at your wedding," Georgie tells me. "Along with her mama and sister."

"That is wonderful," I tell her.

Georgie smiles. "Now you will be late if you do not hurry."

I take Georgie's hand in mine. "Thank you for helping me."

"You are my sister," Georgie tells me. "Where else would I be?"

I smile widely as Daphne walks in.

"You look beautiful," Daphne tells me.

I smile. "No more beautiful than you on your wedding day."

Daphne waves me off. "Nonsense. This day is about you, not me." She smiles. "I must confess that I am grateful that you are marrying Anthony instead of Miss Edwina." I smile slightly. "Miss Edwina is a lovely girl, but she is all wrong for Anthony."

"That I must agree with," I confess.

"I do as well," Georgie says.

"I wondered what my own father would say on my wedding day," Daphne tells me. "Anthony changed after our father's death."

I nod my head. "I know Daph. You all did."

"But most of all Anthony," Daphne insists. "Anthony did not weep even once. He stopped laughing. It was as though he had become an entirely different person, consumed by the expectations of others. I questioned whether he would ever be capable of loving anyone."

"I do not know that it has changed," I tell her.

Daphne takes my hand in hers. "But if anyone is capable of having Anthony's heart it is you." She smiles. "I should go speak to Anthony. Make sure he knows he is making a good decision for once. Probably the best decision of his life."

Campbell walks into the room. "It's time."

I nod my head. "Okay."

"You look beautiful, Selina," Campbell tells me. He holds his arm out for me and I take it. "It should be father here with you. Not me."

"He was there for the first one," I offer. "And I am glad that if it could not be him, it is you. It has always been the three of us. You, me, and Georgie. I do not know that I would have made it through any of this if you were not with me."