❧twenty one

As I arrive at Lady Bridgerton's ball with Georgie and Campbell. Lady Bridgerton's ball is magnificent. I had no doubts about it. I can see that Miss Edwina and Anthony are already on the dance floor.

I stand off to the side with Kate.

"May I ask you a question?" Kate asks.

"Go on," I tell her.

"Have you ever thought about remarrying?" Kate questions.

"I do not think I will," I tell her. "Being a widow is a powerful thing."

Miss Edwina steps off of the dance floor having finished another dance with Anthony.

"Lord Bridgerton has gone to get me a lemonade," Miss Edwina tells us.

"How very thoughtful of him," I offer.

"We've just finished our second dance. I'm certain he'd not have asked me for two if he did not have intentions for the evening," Miss Edwina reasons.

"I am pleased to hear that," Kate tells her sister.

"I need you to dance with him," Miss Edwina states.

"What?" Kate asks in confusion.

"If he is going to declare himself before the end of the ball, as I hope, he shall need to ask you for your blessing," Miss Edwina reasons. "And you are ready to grant him your blessing, are you not? This may very well be my last chance."

Anthony steps towards us. "Miss Edwina."

"Lord Bridgerton," Miss Edwina greets. "My sister and I were just speaking. She wishes to take to the floor."

"Ah. Well, I am certain that..." Anthony starts.

"With you," Miss Edwina says with a smile. She takes the glass of lemonade from Anthony's hand.

"Miss Sharma, may I have this dance?" Anthony asks Kate with an outstretched hand.

"You may, my lord," Kate tells him.

As Anthony and Kate step off of the dance floor Edwina swoops in to speak with her sister. She leaves Anthony and I standing there staring at one another.

"All is going well?" I ask.

Anthony nods. "Yes."

I nod my head without saying anything. Anthony looks at me for a moment before holding his hand out to me. We take to the dance floor. For a long moment we do not say anything to one another.

"Did you get Miss Sharma's permission?" I ask.

Anthony nods. "She has told me that she thinks I will be able to provide for her sister in a worthy manner."

"So, you are going to propose to Miss Edwina?" I question.

Anthony nods his head. "Yes."

I nod my head. The song ends just in time. I do not say another word to Anthony as I walk away from him and out of the ballroom.

I continue down the hallway towards my bedchamber. I do not stop as I hear Anthony call out my name. Suddenly I feel him grab my wrist.

"Anthony," I protest.

He ignores me as he grabs me by the wrist and tugs me into an alcove. I can feel my breath catch in my throat. Anthony and I are too close to one another. To close in a dark alcove. To close in a public place where anyone may find us.

"What are you doing?" I question.

"Why did you run off like that?" Anthony asks.

"I did not run off," I insist.