❧twenty two

I sit in the drawing room with my siblings.

"Prudence Featherington is engaged to the new Lord Featherington," Georgie states.

Campbell makes a face. "Is that not her uncle?"

"Her cousin," Georgie tells him.

"They are related, that is all I know," I assure.

According to Penelope she is rather upset that your engagement to Anthony has overshadowed her own," Georgie tells me.

"Trust me she may have the attention," I tell her.

It has been passed along to Anthony and I that Her Majesty is rather upset with our engagement. According to her we have ruined her perfect match. If only she knew how I felt. To my relief however she almost entirely blames Anthony. She even called up on him to ask him what he thought he was doing. I do not know what Anthony could have possibly said to her, but she will not stop our wedding even if she does not endorse it.

I sit in Lady Danbury's drawing room with Kate. It is rather awkward.

I take a deep breath. "I need you to hear this from me." Kate nods slightly. "I am sorry for what has happened. I wish for you to know that I never meant for any of this to happen. I never meant to hurt your sister or your Mama or you."

"I have come to realise that," Kate admits.

I look at her surprised. "You have?"

Kate nods. "Yes. I know that you and Lord Bridgerton have a long history. A history that could not be overlooked. Do not get me wrong I am not happy for how it happened. But I am glad Edwina was spared the unhappiness of a loveless marriage or being jilted at the altar."

I nod my head. "So, you do not hate me?"

"No," Kate tells me. "I do not hate you."

"Do you ever think that we may go back to being friends?" I ask.

Kate nods. "I think with time."

I came back from a ride I hoped would clear my head. It did not. Or maybe it did but my head was once again clouded when I walked into the drawing room and came face to face with Anthony sitting on a settee beside Tilly.

"Lord Bridgerton?" I question.

"Lady Downing," Anthony greets. He stands up and turns to the man behind him. "This is the jeweler." I look at him waiting for him to elaborate. "We are here to have your betrothal ring altered to fit."

"Is that cake?" the jeweller asks.

I look at him quizzically. "It is indeed."

"Lemon?" the man asks.

"Pardon?" I question.

"I fancy a good lemon," the man tells me without prompting.

I sigh. "Might I offer you some refreshment, Mr..."

"Brookes," the man tells me. "Only if you insist. I mean, it would be churlish to refuse." He turns to a servant. "Tea, three spoons of sugar, and perhaps some sandwiches too, thank you."

I suppose we must wait for this man to have his snack.

Anthony takes a deep breath before turning to me. "It is fine weather we are having, is it not?"

I look at him in disbelief as I move to sit next to my daughter. "You wish to speak to me of the weather?"

"Is there another topic of conversation that'd be more appropriate?" Anthony questions.