❧fifteen

There is nothing quite like the sweet-scented smell of success. But after taking in the scene from last night's festivities, it is clear the season won't be quite so fragrant for everyone. The Viscount Bridgerton's own mama may have loudly declared her eldest son's lofty intentions to marry, yet I cannot be the only one wondering if this former Capital-R-Rake is, indeed, ready to flourish. Perhaps the viscount, like the rest of us, is simply waiting for the queen to finally name her diamond. Or perhaps this author should take matters into her own hands.

When I arrive home, it is already late. Georgie and Campbell may have wanted to leave the ball, but I was enjoying my time. I have just slipped out of my dress and tied a robe around me when Mrs Comerford walks in.

"Ma'am Lord Bridgerton is here to see you." I groan. "I can tell him to go away."

I shake my head. "That is not necessary. I shall be down in a moment. I shall meet him in the study."

When I open the door to the study Anthony stands up to greet me.

"Are you daft?" I question.

Anthony looks confused. "Pardon me?"

"Why are you in my home?" I ask as I close the door.

"I wished to see you," Anthony tells me.

"And I wish to sleep," I tell him.

Anthony steps towards me. "It has been months since we have laid eyes on each other, and you are acting as if you do not care."

"I have mixed feelings about you right now, Anthony," I confess.

Anthony looks confused. "Mixed feelings?"

"Your sudden declaration of your intentions to marry for one," I tell him." I state. "Your desire for perfection is two."

"The woman I marry shall be the Viscountess Bridgerton," Anthony says. "The lady of this household, responsible for launching my sisters and bearing my children. I do not desire for them to be raised by a woman who does not know how to so much as hold a map right side up. This is the duty I must fulfill."

"You will end up alone with such expectations," I tell him. I laugh bitterly. "I am gone for a few months, and you decide that you are to marry."

"It is my duty," Anthony insists.

"You have already said that more times than I could ever count," I state.

"You of all people understand duty," Anthony says.

"I understand that you have managed to tug on my every nerve since I have returned," I confess.

"And I have thought about nothing but you since I learned you were back in London," Anthony tells me.

"I wish to know one thing," I state.

"Anything," Anthony tells me.

"Were there other women while I was gone?" I ask.

"Selina," Anthony starts.

"If you wish to see me you will look me in my eyes and tell me there was not any other woman," I tell him. Anthony says nothing. "You cannot."

Anthony steps closer to me. "Were there other men? While you were in Paris?"

"You cannot hold me to that double standard. That I should not be able to live my life how I choose. I will not allow it," I state.

"We can move on from this," Anthony tells me. "We were both with other people."

"No, we cannot, Anthony. You wish to marry." I shake my head. "Worse yet, you wish to marry someone who does not exist."