❧four

This author has often thought the heart a most curious of instruments, heeding neither reason nor rank. For what possible explanation might Miss Bridgerton have for entertaining the suit of a mere baron when she seems to have secured a Duke? Could the debutante's mind not be the only thing amiss? Let it be known, dear reader, that if this bizarre behavior portends yet another scandal, then be sure that I shall uncover it, for there is nothing like an excursion into nature to lift the spirits and loosen the tongue.

I sit with my family in the park. Campbell has talked to a few men here and there. Georgie just seems bored with it. I spot Penelope Featherington and Eloise waving to Georgie.

"Selina? Might I go promenade for suitors with Eloise and Penelope?" Georgie asks.

I smile. "Of course."

I stand up with Betty in my arms and walk over towards the Bridgertons.

Daphne smiles. "Oh she is so big."

I smile widely. "Now Betty let us show Daphne what we have learned."

I put Betty down. She holds onto the tips of my index fingers as she starts to walk towards Daphne. Daphne laughs in excitement. Betty makes it to Daphne before falling into her lap.

"I told you it was only a matter of time," I state.

Lady Bridgerton is doting over the twins with their nurse. I sit down on the blanket next to Daphne. Daphne holds onto Betty.

"I have so much news," Daphne tells me.

"More news than being done with Lord Berbrooke?" I ask. Daphne nods. "Well on with it."

"Mama has been invited to a private tea by Her Majesty herself," Daphne tells me.

I smile. "That is wonderful."

"Mama!"

Tilly comes running towards me. She lands in my lap with a laugh. Her nurse chasing after her.

"Sorry my Lady."

I wave her off. "It is fine. Do not worry about it."

Anthony walks over and sits beside his sister. "I was not aware, sister, of what Berbrooke attempted. I would have helped you. You should have told me."

"Would you have believed me? Did you only change your mind about Lord Berbrooke because another man told you the truth?" Daphne asks.

"You truly esteem me so little?" Anthony questions.

"After I apprised you of my wishes, and you proceeded to ignore them... yes, brother, I do," Daphne confesses. "Here little one why don't you go back to your mama." Daphne hands Betty to me before standing up and walking away.

Anthony looks at me.

"Do not look to me for help. I have none to offer," I tell him.

"You Lady Downing have nothing to say?" Anthony remarks.

Tilly squirms out of my lap. "Mama?"

"Yes, dearest?" I ask.

"I wanna go play dolls with uncle Campbell," Tilly tells me.

I nod my head and motion for her nurse. "Your nurse will take you to him alright." Tilly nods her head. I turn to her nurse. "Please make sure she makes it back to my brother."

The nurse nods her heads as she takes Tilly's hand. "Yes ma'am."

I turn to Anthony. "You were saying?" Anthony makes a face. I stand Betty up in my lap. "Now Betty what do we say to Lords who make mean remarks."