❧twelve

I sit in the Parlor with Daphne. She has dropped by to see the girls. I smile as she sits with Alice in her lap. Tilly is playing with her toys on the ground. I have Jo on my own lap and Betty is upstairs sleeping.

"I hope you do not mind that I stopped by unannounced," Daphne says.

I chuckle as I wave her off. "Nonsense. The girls have missed you as have I."

Daphne smiles. "And I have missed you all enormously."

"Lady Danbury tells me that she has extended an invitation to you for her party tomorrow," I say.

Daphne nods. "Mm. A collection of married ladies. I can only imagine the questions they will have for me."

I laugh lightly. "If it shall make you feel better we can arrive together."

"You received an invitation?" Daphne asks.

"You forget so soon that I to was married?" I ask. Daphne looks down slightly embarrassed. "I have been attending Lady Danbury's parties for years." I smile. "I assure you it will not disappoint."

Daphne and I arrive at Lady Danbury's party together as promised. I can tell that Daphne is nervous not knowing what to expect. Of course she had many questions but I refused to answer. I was thrust into the world of Lady Danbury parties with no knowledge and Daphne shall arrive the same way.

As we enter the room there are tables all over with laughing and gossiping women. The spirits are flowing and I can tell more than one woman has already lost money.

Lady Danbury walks over to greet Daphne and I. "Lady Downing." I smile. She turns to Daphne. "Your Grace. Welcome to my den of iniquity." She leads us to a card table where three other women are already seated. "I believe you already know Lady Trowbridge, Your Grace, but have you met Lucy Granville? And this is Kitty Langham."

"The general's wife, yes," Daphne says. Kitty smiles. "Well, lovely to meet you all."

"Well, do not just stare. Deal the duchess and marchioness in," Lady Danbury tells the dealer.

Daphne and I sit down next to one another.

"We shall teach you the rules," Lucy tell her.

"First, a woman takes her wedding vows, then we gamblers take her virtue," Lady Trowbridge teases.

"If her husband has left any to be taken," Lucy remarks.

We all laugh even Daphne.

"Have no fear. Each turn, all you have to do is set your token on the card you believe the dealer will turn over. Now, ladies, place your bets," Lady Danbury says.

Kitty offers a drink to Daphne. "Takes away the sting of losing, I rather think."

Daphne smiles as she moves her glass towards Kitty.

"The duchess is a quick study. I'm sure she will have the measure of things in no time. All it takes is a little practice and perseverance," Lady Danbury states.

We play round after round. Most of us losing pound after pound.

"The earl would have my head if he knew how much money I have lost," Lady Trowbridge remarks.

"The earl is but two years old," I remind her.

"Hmm. Well, then, I'm in luck, am I not?" Lady Trowbridge remarks before standing and leaving with Lucy.

"Seems I have been blessed with some beginner's luck," Daphne remarks.

"The game is not over yet, Your Grace," Kitty tells her.