❧sixteen

Dearest reader. It has been said that competition is an opportunity for us to rise and stand ready before our greatest of challenges. Well, if what this author hears this morning is true, then a great challenge concerning this season's diamond has been set forth, indeed. Any suitor wishing to gain an audience with Miss Edwina Sharma must first tame the rather prickly spinster of a beast otherwise known as her sister. Of course, the only competition that compels my attention is the game of courtship. So best of luck to this year's players. Do try not to stumble on the starting line.

Campbell has insisted on being included in the process of finding a husband for Georgie. Georgie has decided on providing us with her own list of her top potential suitors. It is rather long.

"I can only imagine that Miss Edwina has a similar list," Campbell says.

"So, our sister should settle for the men that Miss Edwina leaves for everyone else?" I ask.

"No," Campbell says. "I just think Lord Lumley is a dandy."

"I would use the term gallant," I counter.

"Is that what you look for, Georgie?" Campbell asks. "A gallant dandy?"

"If Selina believes in him, so do I," Georgie states.

"I see you've left off Lord Bridgerton," Campbell states.

"An excellent decision," I assure. "He stated rather clearly that he seeks a wife only to fulfill his duty and does not believe in love at all."

"And you find this unusual?" Campbell asks. "Most marriages of the ton are, in fact, mere matters of business. You yourself know that it has been working for centuries. It is the true love match that is quite rare."

I ignore my brother. "You know what it is you are looking for, Georgie. You must not forget it."

Georgie makes a face. "You two are getting on my nerves." I look at her surprised. "I am capable of finding my own husband. I simply need permission from you two and nothing more."

Campbell looks at her wide eyed. I open my mouth before shutting it again.

Colborne walks into the room. "Miss Sharma here to see you, Lady Downing."

Miss Sharma and I sit in the sitting room. I look at her curiously.

"I am rather curious, Miss Sharma," I admit. "Why you have decided to call on me?"

"I am in need of advice, Lady Downing," Miss Sharma tells me.

"Advice?" I question. "I shall try." She nods her head. "Though I think if I am giving advice I would rather we drop formalities, and you call me Selina."

Miss Sharma smiles. "Alright. Then you must call me Kate."

I smile as I nod my head. "What is it you're looking for advice on, Kate?"

"I need advice on my sister," Kate tells me. "She is this season's Incomparable."

"It is well earned," I tell her.

"And since she is the Diamond there has been a steady stream of callers at our home," Kate continues. "One of which I wish to drive away from my sister."

"Lord Bridgerton," I state.

Kate nods. "Yes."

"So it is advice on how to get Lord Bridgerton to leave your sister alone?" I ask. Kate nods. "I do not know that I have any advice for you. Once Lord Bridgerton sets his sights on something he almost always gets it."

"There must be something," Kate insists.

"Unless you can get your sister to turn into an ugly ill-behaved young lady all of sudden there is not much to do," I reason.

"Sister have you..."