❧nine

Dearly beloved, we are gathered to join together this man and this woman in holy matrimony. It is said that marriage hath in it less of beauty but more of safety than the single life. ...in the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen. I now pronounce you man and wife.

I smile at Daphne as I manage to track her down at the reception. "It was such a beautiful wedding, Daph. Congratulations."

"Thank you," Daphne tells me. "You should have brought your daughters."

I scoff. "Four screaming children is really what you think your wedding needs?" Daphne laughs. "Anytime you want to deal with a crying one year old you are more than welcome to come to my house."

Daphne grabs my hands in hers. "Thank you, Selina. For being my very closest friend since diapers. You did not forget about me when you married and I shall not forget about you now that I have wed," Daphne tells me.

I smile. "Anytime I desire a break from my siblings I shall show up at your front door. Should your husband permit of course."

"Ah, my husband. Seems so strange to finally be able to say that," Daphne admits.

I chuckle. "Trust me it will become strange and foreign feeling to call him anything else. The two of you care for each other deeply. When all is said and done, nothing else matters."

Daphne wraps me into a hug. "I will miss you."

"I will miss you more," I assure. "Now go enjoy your wedding."

Daphne smiles before she walks off.

Lady Danbury walks over to me.

I curtsy. "Lady Danbury."

"Lady Downing," Lady Danbury greets.

"Absolutely beautiful wedding," I state.

"Yes indeed," Lady Danbury agrees.

"Let us hope that this wedding ends better than my own," I remark. Lady Danbury chuckles. "It took my mama a week to get that cake out of her hair."

"Would you ever do this again?" Lady Danbury gestures around her. "Remarry I mean."

I laugh lightly. "If I were lucky enough to find a man I love. But I rather enjoy my life of freedom."

Lady Danbury laughs. "Being a widow does have advantages, but you are young yet. The right man might still come along."

Eloise walks over towards us. "Lady Danbury you are Lady Whistledown." I look at her in shock. "Yes, you certainly enjoy spreading secrets, do you not?"

"Dear child, have you lost your wits? Everyone enjoys secrets. Otherwise, why would Lady Whistledown's paper be so successful? I am flattered by your accusation, but it is simply not true. Though, when you unmask the writer, do let me know," Lady Danbury tells her. She turns to me. "And you should think about what I told you."

"I see we are playing detective now Eloise. Might I suggest not accusing everyone in this room of being Lady Whistledown you will not get anywhere," I tease.

I sit in the study by myself. I am happy for Daphne and the Duke I truly am, but being at a wedding brings back so many memories. I think the last wedding I was happy at was my own. I still thought that I loved Cooke then. Weddings after that were just a reminder that I didn't. That I had to put on a happy face.

The door opens and Anthony walks in. "Here you are." He closes the door as he walks towards me.

"What is it that you need from me, Lord Bridgerton?" I ask.

"We need to talk," Anthony tells me.

I shake my head as I stand up. "No. You want to talk. But I do not wish to hear what you have to say."