Chapter 2

"Kennedy. May I speak with you please," Coach Melody asked. We had just finished practice and everyone was packing up their backups as they prepared to head out.

I flung my backpack over my shoulder and jogged over to her. "What's up?" I asked. I was scared that she was going to yell at me for after we lost the last game to Bridgewood. She was capable of depriving me of my team captain position or even worse, kicking me off my team.

"So the championships are coming up," she started.

Where is she going with this?

I nodded my head slowly, feeling very nervous. "I know."

"I had a conversation with the sports administration and I have some bad news," she told me. She finished up packing her own backpack and led me out of the gym. Everyone had left already at this point.

"Mel, I don't understand. Please get to the point. The suspense is killing me," I begged. The suspense was really not helping with my nerves. Coach Melody turned off the lights to the gym and locked up the doors. We were walking towards the school's parking lot now and she still hadn't told me the bad news!

"You guys will have some mandatory team bonding..." she finally confessed.

My eyes lit up in excitement. "That's great! How's that a bad thing?"

Team bonding was basically just hanging out with my closest friends since everyone on our team was in one friend group. Hanging out with friends sponsored by the school? What more could I ask for?

"With the football team," she finished. "Since they are the only other team that have a chance to make it to the championships."

The grin dropped from my face. "What does that have to do with us though?" I frowned.

"The sports admin know about the hatred going on between our team and their team. The coaches and admin agreed that it would be beneficial if you guys ended the feud and supported each other instead of continuing this toxic relationship. They thought that if both teams came together, there would be more school spirit and could encourage more students to support both teams," she explained, a forced smile clear on her face.

"Lemme guess, this wasn't your idea?" I asked, raising my eyebrow at her.

"You know me too well!" She groaned. "I hate him! He thinks he's so irresistible but he isn't!"

She was talking about the coach of the football team, Greg Harris. Melody wasn't that much older than the rest of us. She was only a few years older and was already in college. Coach Harris was only a year older than her but Coach Melody told us their feud or whatever they like to call it started when they were in high school. They both graduated from Starrymont and have come back to coach as a part time job.

I gave her a look of empathy. "We'll get through this somehow. I'm sure we'll find a way out of this," I reassured.

She nodded sadly. "Anyways, I'll tell the rest of the girls about this tomorrow during practice. I just wanted to see your reaction first. Have a good night Kennedy and get home safe." She waved at me as she walked over to her car. I started heading to my own car. It was getting late and I had to get home before it got too dark.

I secretly shipped Melody and Coach Harris together. They bickered all the time but they always had some sort of sexual tension whenever they were around each other.

"So have you heard the news?" I jumped at the voice.

Ugh, him again.

He started laughing hysterically, clutching his stomach like it was the funniest thing he's ever seen. I scowled, walking away faster to my car. As expected, he followed me.