"Happy? Unhappy?" Short Story 2.1

Next day. I woke up earlier than usual and I arrived 10 minutes before the class meeting began. There weren't many students, and the classroom was basically empty.

"I've arrived earlier than Horikita."

After all, since it was this time, I thought she had already arrived at the classroom, but it looks like even the first-rate person is going to arrive late.

"Good morning, everyone."

A moment later, Kushida, the class atmosphere mediator, entered the classroom.

The gloomy (I'm exaggerating) classroom suddenly became bright and cheerful.

Even if I only see Kushida in the morning, I still think she is very cute. I would probably feel the same if I saw her in the evening.

I didn't know what Kushida was thinking. When she turned into my direction, our eyes accidentally met.

Normally, I was supposed to greet her by waving my hand, but I subconsciously averted my eyes, typical from a good-for-nothing like me...

Today I was also running continuously at the bottom.

Then suddenly, the door swung open.

"..."

It seems like Shinjiro realized he was almost late and sighed out of relief. He's usually not this late so I wonder what held him up. 

He went along the classroom and went passed me. When I hear he moving his chair, I turned around to faced him.

"What's with you being almost late?" 

"I thought my phone was charged so I placed my phone on alarm, not even checking the battery percentage. My alarm clock was surprisingly not functioning too... because of the batteries..."

"I see, why didn't you charge your phone?"

"Because it was 11 PM. I mean, it's not like I'm an early bird but I was mentally and physically tired."

"Oh, okay. Well, changing the topic, what's with Horikita?"

"Hm?"

Shinjiro looked around the classroom, only to find Horikita not there.

"She's not here? Isn't she usually this early?"

"That's what I thought too."

It incredibly strange that she wasn't here, but me and Shinjiro didn't approach the topic any further and continued doing our own thing.

While I was staring blankly at the outside of the window, the class bells rang, and the class meeting had started. Even at this time, I still hadn't seen Horikita.

I didn't know if Chabashira-sensei had realized or not that Horikita was not here. She didn't touch on this topic, finished the roll call and left the classroom.

"Is she late? So rare..."

"Yeah, truly unbelievable..." Shinjiro remarked as well.

I could only guess...

"Good morning, Ayanokouji-kun!"

"Waah!?"