The Plan

/3rd POV/

"So, there's no trace of the president, and Emi's gone missing too," Dazai sighed into the phone.

"Emi too?" Tanizaki exclaimed in surprise.

"Yeah, her phone's been completely shut off. Knowing her, she's already found the president."

/

"Master," I said in surprise when the familiar calico cat jumped onto my shoulder before a small smile came to my face. "So, you're going to stop them, huh?"

"Yes," he answered. "It seems they haven't yet fully understood their jobs."

"Mm," I nodded. "In terms of knowledge and experience, they're still mere babes compared to you, so you can't expect them to understand everything."

Then, he hopped down from my shoulder and continued making his way to the abandoned house up ahead. This had been a place where the president and Mori had clashed many years ago. It was a place they would have instinctively gone to in this type of situation, so it was quite easy for me to find them.

A few moments after Master entered the house, a bright light shown from inside before a large explosion happened. Paying no mind to the destruction, I easily made my way through the rubble.

"You have no idea how much of a pain the both of you are," Master said from what would have once been the main room of the house. And by the sound of his voice, I could tell he was in his human form. Less than a second later, the president and Mori both let out surprised gasps. "Can't you let an old man enjoy his retirement?" 

I rounded the corner and saw Master in his human form for the first time. Even sitting down, I could tell he was a tall man, and he gave off the dignified air of a cat. He wore brown detective's clothes, a bowler hat, and even adorned a cane.

"I passed on the duty of protecting this city for a reason."

"Master Natusme, you still look like a cat," I chuckled slightly as I came out from behind the corner to sit on a broken wall.

*Cough* I turned my head to the other side of the destroyed building and spotted Katai, safe and unharmed as I expected. "Natume, sir, where are you?"

"Hm. Young Katai here have figured out where the rats are hiding, but the enemy is the epitome of craftiness. If they realize they're being pursued, they'll disappear, never to be found or captured again. Will you seize upon this opportunity?"

"I see. They don't know if one of us has actually died yet," Mori realized.

"Until they learn the outcome of our battle, they'll stay close to home," the president added.

"You have twelve hours before the effects of the virus become irreversible. I've already given your subordinate the information they need to succeed. I won't be having a mere pack of rats chewing up the organizations I approve of. Let's begin! I trust the two of you won't let me down."

"Understood," they both answered.

"In that case, we'll need to borrow some of your men, Mori," I said, hopping off the rubble I had sat on.

"What do you have in mind?" 

"Well," a hint of a grin came to my face, "what else but the new double black?" With those words, he got a devious glint in his eyes. "Afterwards, though, I'd like to have a friendly spar with Kouyou. She caught me off guard earlier, and I'd like to claim back my pride."

"That can be arranged," he agreed.

~

"Come on! Just let me go," Atsushi complained as Dazai held him by the collar of his shirt. It hadn't taken much time to get the plan in motion. Atsushi, Dazai, Aku, and I were in the back of a truck bound for the location Katai had discovered to be their base. Atsushi looked much like a kitten with the way he squirmed in Dazai's grasp while Aku looked like a dog ready to attack as soon as he was let loose.

"Not a chance! You three are going to work together whether you like it or not," Dazai told him.

"Dazai!"

"Ow! My tummy! Please don't move around like that, Atsushi, you're gonna reopen my stitches."

"This is our retaliation mission to save our president. Why is he even here?"

"It's all part of our plan, just trust us," I waved off as I munched on my fresh bag of chocolate-covered pretzels.

"You three will sneak into the enemy base together. The enemy base is in an old abandoned coal mine. The interior is several hundred kilometers wide and equipped with sensors and traps to stop intruders. Our main target is the gifted who controls the virus. Unless we can disable his special ability, both leaders will die. Our second target is the mastermind, Fyodor," Dazai explained.

"Isn't this all the more reason not to involve him? This mission is important and you know how much Akutagawa hates my guts. I doubt he'd agree to work with me anyway!" Atsushi rebuked.

"Well, Akutagawa? You in?"

"If that's the plan, I can do it," he said calmly while holding a murderous look on his face. Even after sharing the same room with him for my two years in the port mafia, I had never seen that look on his face.

"Did you know it's been four years since you've been under my command? I'm hoping to see that you're a little more capable than before."

"Yes."

"Are you sure you're Akutagawa?" Atsushi asked with a suspicious look thrown at the oddly calm dragon.

"Yes," he answered in the same tone as before.

"You're actually gonna team up and fight with us?"

"Yes," he answered robotically once again.

"You promise to wear a neon pink coat tomorrow?" I chimed in.

"Yes."

"What did you have for dinner last night?" Atsushi added with a sweatdrop.

"Yes."

"Well, dazai, you heard the man, he'll wear pink tomorrow. And I have proof," I sniggered holding up my phone.

"You promise to wear a neon pink coat tomorrow?" "Yes," the recording played.

"You have to get pictures," he replied with a devious smirk.

"Definitely," I chuckled as Atsushi sighed.

In just a short couple of minutes, we arrived at the rat's base.

"That sure is a lot of guards," Atsushi stated with worry.

"They all have wireless communication too. Their people will know right away if we charge in. And there's a sensor at the entrance to counter Junichiro's illusions. Also, their vital signs are being monitored and continuously transmitted back to their headquarters. If the guards so much as become excited or nervous, they'll know instantly that something's wrong."

"Emi," Doppo said from behind me, catching my attention, "be careful."

"I'm fine," I said with a smile, easing his concerned look some. "My head's clear and I'm a lot more focused. No matter what happens in there, I have a plan," I assured, gaining a nod from him.

"I have two simple rules for you, Were-tiger, Kitten," Aku practically snarled, "keep up or be left behind, get in my way, and die. Got it?" With that, he used Rashoumon to quietly launch to the top of the mine, cutting his way in a moment after.

"He left you behind," Dazai said with a smile as he looked at the baffled Atsushi.

"I'm going to!" he exclaimed before getting into a running position.

"Wait, just how are you going to-" Doppo started before Atsushi transformed only his legs, pushing straight ahead right after.

"Huh, the tiger learned a new trick," I commented. "I ought to get going too. Just remember the possible situations I gave you guys," I said before turning into a vine snake and slithering into one of the mole tunnels that had been made years back before I had even joined the mafia.