Karl and his Emo Friend

"So, you ended up saving the little monster rather than killing him?" I asked with a raised brow. "Well, you definitely have changed," I sighed.

"Well, it gives the Port Mafia a reason not to kill me," he replied.

"Hey, Emi, are you ready?" Yosano popped up and asked.

"Yep," I stood up. "You just want me to keep watch, right?"

"Yeah, just to make sure no one tries to attack."

~

Ranpo had received a challenge. A detective game, which seemed dumb to me. But, we went anyway.

"What's taking them so long," I grumbled. "I'll just go in..." I transformed into a field mouse and slipped inside the room. They had told me to wait outside, but this is just taking so long.

They weren't there. "Hehehehe... There's no way they'll solve it in time. They'll be stuck in that book forever."

I looked over and saw a man with messy black hair covering his face along with a raccoon on his shoulder. That must be Edgar Allan Poe. The raccoon looked at me before jumping off of Poe's shoulder.

"What's a mouse like you doing in here?" he asked.

"I was checking up on my friends, but it looks like your companion used his ability."

"Yes," he sighed, "he likes to act all dramatic and evil, but Eddy is just an awkward boy. Your friends will make it out just fine."

"I'm sure they will," I nodded.

"Karl, what are you up to?" Poe asked before spotting me. "Oh, a mouse."

Deciding there was no threat, I turned back into my human form, scaring him quite a bit. "Hello," I waved as I stayed sitting on the floor. 

"W-what are you doing here?!" he exclaimed.

"Yosano wanted me as a lookout," I replied as the raccoon clumb onto my lap. "And what's your name, little guy?"

"Karl, it's nice to meet you." 

"And it's nice to meet you too, I'm Emi." I started petting him as a smile grew on my face. "He's very well-mannered. That says a lot about the person that raised him." I looked at Poe who was definitely nervous and anxious. "You're a good guy, I can tell."

As if to break the awkwardness, the book on the floor opened and began glowing gold, spooking Karl into hiding in my coat and confusing Poe. 

"Miss us?" Ranpo asked as he and Yosano materialized out of the book.

"What? Impossible! You couldn't have solved the mystery!" Poe exclaimed as he backed away from the two.

"I'll admit, it was quite an impressive piece of work. You just made one mistake: that was challenging me."

"You- you actually figured out who the killer was?"

"Of course. The murderer... was me. The locked room had nothing to do with it. The protagonist killed the victim. The author purposely omitted that part of the narration. The truly ingenious element was how you managed to conceal any evidence..." From there on, I kinda zoned them out as I petted Karl. The poor guy was spooked and I hardly ever got the chance to pet a raccoon since most of them go out of their way to avoid humans around here. "Come on, Emi, it's time to go."

"Aww. Sorry, but I'll see you later, Karl," I slightly pouted as he hopped off my lap and I stood up.

"See you next time!"

The three of us left with the envelope containing plans of the ship.

"We'll need to hold a celebration for you later," Yosano commented.

"What for?" Ranpo asked.

"Our great detective has finally learned the truth. You don't actually possess a special ability. You simply use your deduction to-"

"That's not true. I have a gift."

"You just outsmarted Poe's trap and explained everything with pure logic."

"Hey, I'm gifted, alright. Wasn't anything special, I got lucky this time is all." He slowed to a stop, causing us to follow suit. "It's just..."

"It's just what?" I questioned.

"I'd look really stupid if I turned out to be normal now." We both let out a chuckle at that. "Hey! No laughing allowed." 

"Whatever you say," Yosano said as we started walking again.

"Don't you patronize me!"

~

The fun had just begun with obtaining the plans for the ship, now we had to devise a plan of action. Dazai and Ranpo were the main ones figuring out how to move forward while I was in charge of taking control of the ship remotely, which was easier said than done. The plans also included a range of passwords to get into the smaller systems, but nothing to the main ones that I needed.

"Hey, Emi, do you wanna take a break and visit Ango?" Dazai popped in and asked.

"I'm still pissed at that asshat. So, I'd rather stay here and burn my retinas for a few more hours," I said as I tried another password, failing, as expected. "This is harder than getting into the neighbor's wifi..."

Time went by and Atsushi had already infiltrated the Guild's ship. He was to stop the ship remotely while I continued to attempt it at my end. The worst-case scenario had come to be true, so we were on a time crunch. If we failed... Yokohama in its entirety would be wiped off the face of the planet. Those bastards planned on doing anything they could to get what they wanted.

~Alright, so this one's a short chapter. I'll finish season 2 off with the next chapter, then we get to have fun with Fyodor. I'll have to rewatch season three first though since it's been a hot minute.

Oh! And season four is gonna be so good!!! I was almost to the point of tears with happiness when I saw the trailer. And, one last thing, I may do a book on Beast. I finished it not too long ago and absolutely love it to death. I highly recommend it to everyone:)~