Disappearance

"I just received a message. It said do not fight the Port mafia," Atsushi said. "Our president gave that order from his deathbed, so shouldn't we forget about fighting and capture whoever controls the virus?"

"Yes, but we've already attempted that. The enemy is a crafty one, it'll be impossible to uproot all of its meticulously prepared traps in time," Ranpo answered. 

"Even for you, Ranpo?"

"That's precisely what I'm saying. Regardless, to fight is a violation of our orders."

"And?" Doppo questioned from beside me as I slowly snacked on some gummy bears, not my favorite, but it'll do.

"Each of you needs to decide what action you will take."

"Ranpo," he straightened up, "are you asking us to choose between obeying the president or fighting the mafia?"

"That's right, but we don't have much time to mull it over. If the port mafia finds out our president is in a protected ability space, they'll switch tactics. Our friends and family, anyone important to us might be taken hostage. They might even be killed unless we give them the president. Even the agency may have no choice but to buckle to such threats."

"He's right..." I said, gaining everyone's attention. "Most of the mafia's stronger members are from a crueler time. They, and even the newer ones, would stop at nothing to save their boss... Despite knowing that all too well, I still can't fight them," I clutched my right arm, thinking back to the fear I had felt not too long ago. It was still a fresh feeling even though I did my best to push it aside. The feeling of being cornered like that and just freezing was enough to deter me from fighting. "I'm sorry..."

Ranpo merely nodded.

"I'll do it," Tanizaki said as he stood up. "I'll fight. Let's face it, we usually have to hurt somebody in order to protect somebody else."

"I'll go along as well," Yosano said in turn. "Let's just say I have a bit of a bone to pick with Mori. I'm sure he would find a certain poetic beauty to such an ending."

"I'm afraid of him," Kyouka started as she stood. "But if my knowledge of the port mafia can be useful to everyone here, then I should go as well."

"You sure, Kyouka?" Atsushi asked.

"Whether what we're doing is right or wrong, I have no idea. But, still," Kenji said as he stood with a calm expression, "if our people walk into trouble, they'll need help. So I'll go with them"

I could barely look at any of them. I was ashamed. Being the agency's tank and information expert means that I shouldn't get scared. I have enough knowledge to topple governments ten times over, so I shouldn't even have to worry about dying. I should always have backup plans for my backup plans and always know how to deal with an ability, with the thought of being cornered and possibly killed not even having space to become reality. Yet, here I am. Petrified at the thought of fighting, something I had always taken as a game. Just a real-life video game. Dodge, hit, transform, attack, defend. The moves were simple. But when something different happened and took me off guard, I froze. Unable to think. That was what truly scared me.

"Kunikida?" Ranpo asked, bringing me out of my thoughts. "What about you?"

"We have our orders. The president wants us to keep the city safe and stable. To protect the citizens from Fyodor who wants to destroy everything in Yokohama."

"So, then, do you intend to try and find the gifted?"

"No! If I attempt that, more innocent people will die! Like that little girl! If another death like that happens before my eyes, how will I live with myself?" he exclaimed in a shaky voice, causing me to gently rub his back out of instinct.