Failed Assassination

Dazai was taken to the hospital, one different from the director's, for surgery, and the director was afflicted by a cannibalism-type ability. One that infects two hosts and drains their life until one or both die, or until the user releases the ability. And it seems that Mori was the second host. By now, I was beyond irritated by the Russian demon. Not only is he putting my favorite boss on the path to death, but he sent my best friend to the hospital.

Then, the final straw to snap the camel's back fell into place. I went to log into the bastard's account to try and find the responsible ability user, and I got an "Authorization Failed" message.

"What's wrong?" Doppo asked, noticing the murderous look on my face.

"I'll be back, I'm going to get ahold of customer support," I grumbled as I got up and took my phone out. As I entered an empty room and shut the door behind me, I dialed a number that I had taken out of my phone years ago, but still remembered out of spite. The phone rang.

Once.

Twice.

Thrice.

Then it clicked. "Ango Sakaguchi speaking," he answered.

"Hey, I'm all out of patience for the month, so I'll cut to the chase. Why can't I get into the account?" At this point, I wasn't really trying to hide my frustration and severe lack of fucks to give, so while I was smiling on the outside, it came out as completely forced and like I was on my last nerve.

"I can't just keep letting you get government information for free," he sighed.

"Oh, so it's alright to withhold knowledge that could save millions of lives?" I snapped. "I don't know how you and your backstabbing ass operate, but I'm trying to stop that damned rat from destroying everything! He is giving me enough shit to deal with, and I don't need any more from YOU!" My jaw had started hurting by now with how much I was clenching it, and I had a slight metallic taste, so I had bitten my lip at some point. I took a deep breath to attempt to calm down a bit. "Look. Dazai was shot and the president is afflicted with some sort of ability. Normally, I would just hack back in, but that would take time I don't have. I despise having to talk to you, but you're the only person with the info I need." Now that I got to let out my anger on someone, I think I feel a bit better. 

"... Alright," he said after a few seconds. "But you can't be switching the devices anymore."

"Deal," I said before hanging up and letting out a sigh of relief. That's one less hurdle...

As I walked back to the others, I logged back into the account and immediately started looking at registered criminals with abilities. I was completely spaced into my work, so much so that I barely registered Yosano coming out and beginning to talk.

"Everyone!" Atsushi shouted as he ran toward us, stopping a few feet away, causing me to look up at him. "It's the Port mafia, they've got the building surrounded!"

Just one more thing to add to the list... I closed my laptop after powering it down and put it in my pocket as a rumbling came from above. And Chuuya's here. Just wonderful. 

"I can't believe they're here already," Doppo said.

"They're holding the front and back entrances," Atsushi informed.

"What?!" Tanizaki exclaimed.

"Should've expected as much from the masters of killing and sneak attacks," Yosano commented.

We're completely surrounded with no conventional way out. They really underestimated us, didn't they?

"Doppo," I said, bringing him out of his thoughts, "We may not have Dazai, but I know all their abilities. Just stay calm and think. They aren't advancing yet, we have time."