Attacks

It was a peaceful night. No robberies, no attacks, and not even a single annoying drunk walked the streets. It was undoubtedly an ideal night to wander the streets of Yokoha-

"Emi! EMI!" Instinctively, I whipped my head toward Shiro's panicked shouts. "THE PRESIDENT'S BEEN ATTACKED!" she yelled before landing on my shoulder, out of breath. "In the... alley behind... the abandoned building to the... the North..." she panted.

"You stay here and catch your breath," I quickly said as I put her on the bench next to me. "I'll go find him."

Faster than I ever had before, I started running. I knew the exact place she was talking about. I just hope he's alright.

~

"Is it true that the President's been attacked?!" Atsushi exclaimed as he ran into the agency, slamming the door a bit, from the sound of it.

I sighed a bit as I turned back to Rokuno, one of the grey rats I befriended. "Sorry about that," I sighed.

"Yo good," he waved off. "Az I was sayin', the dude hadda ripped black cloak on 'im an was wearin' a mask. If I saw right, it was white witha red cross at one side. It looked like 'e jumped offa nothin', but afta 'e left, most blood on the ground was gone. Like it neva' was even there.

"Thanks a lot. If you don't mind, could you ask around to see if anyone saw where he went?" I asked with a hopeful look.

"Sure, I can, Doll. Anythin' for a friend."

"Thanks a bunch." With that, he scurried back to the window and left. With a sigh, I got up and went out to the main room. "Alright, boys, I got a little more info than what we already had," I said, taking a seat at my desk and pulling out a notepad and a pen. "Rokuno was at the scene while he was scavenging and got a rough description of the suspect," I continued as I quickly sketched what he had described with, apparently, the world's crappiest pen that didn't distribute the ink right. "A tall man, around the same height as the director wearing a ripped black cloak, and I'm assuming the rest of his clothes were black, with a white mask that has a red cross on one side," I finished as the rough sketch was also done. "From what he was saying, our suspect could also possess a blood manipulation ability. He didn't see when the blood was trailed down the alley, but he said that by the end most of it was gone."

"A blood manipulation ability..." Atsushi muttered.

"Yeah, they're rare, but there are a handful of people with it in Japan."

"Well, it's more than what we had," Dazai said as he looked at my sketch.

~

"Shit... it's some sort of ability..." I muttered to myself. That explains why Yosano's ability has no effect at least. But what exact type of ability is it? There must be a second factor that caused it to start so late after being attacked. A timed start maybe? Or paired victims? My train of thought was cut short by a loud thump coming from my earpiece. "Crap," I said in annoyance as I made my way out of the building, confusing the others a bit. Dazai had left earlier, saying he was going to investigate the scene, and I had slipped a very low-quality microphone into his pocket. I had expected it to at least pick up his voice but was immediately disappointed when all I could hear was the slight shuffling of his hand in his pocket. If it's who I think it is that we're dealing with, Dazai will need more help than usual.

Soon enough, I caught sight of Atsushi and Kyouka. "Any sight of him?" I asked as I came to a walk at their side.

"Not yet, but he said he'd be investigating around here," Atsushi replied with a worried expression.

Getting a bit impatient, I used a snake's sight and looked around. Just an alley ahead, there was someone on the rooftops and two figures in the alley. The one furthest in began to slightly sway before collapsing, causing another thump to come from my earpiece. "Down that one!" I exclaimed as I began to run for the alley, deactivating my ability. We reached it within seconds and Dazai was left alone on the concrete.

"Dazai!" Atsushi exclaimed.

"I'll get him. Call an ambulance. Now," I ordered as I knelt at his side and took out a first-aid kit from one of my inner pockets.

"R-right," he stuttered as he fumbled with his phone.

"Idiot..." I muttered under my breath as I carefully turned him over and lifted his shirt some to show the wound. Looks like the bullet went clean through, so that's one less thing to worry about. I grabbed some surgical dressing and put one on the entry wound on his back and a second one on the exit wound while applying pressure. 

As soon as I started touching him, the countless voices that filled my ears, expectedly, disappeared, leaving only the muffled roaring of cars and the occasional animal noises. I have nothing against Dazai or physically touching other people, but every time I have to touch him for more than a few seconds, I get anxious. I grew up listening to the constant sounds of animals talking and, in countless cases, it's saved me from trouble. Not being able to hear them is like losing all my senses, all my defenses. I feel vulnerable as a normal person.

Here's another chapter! It took me a few hours to do, but it's finally done. And for those of you that don't know, season 4 is out! Bones is doing an amazing job so far, so I hope they keep up the work. As usual, I don't know when the next chapter will be out because of my work and probable adhd. So, until next time!:)~

And, yes, Rokuno has a New York/Boston accent. He's watched too many American movies.