Chapter 29- Cheer Up

'Hope? For the Village?' Audre laughed to herself. 'What do I have to do with the village?'

     Audre shook her head. "I think you're exaggerating it a bit."

     "We're not!" Mailey said. "You were surely sent as a blessing by the Beast Goddess to bring stability to our village!"

     The Chief had said something like that as well. She said that Audre's existence had saved the village, but truthfully Audre didn't care whether the village crumbled or not. She had never agreed to be their savior.

     "Sent by the beast goddess?" Audre laughed. "She couldn't bless you with female cubs? Some goddess. She could only spare you one random female."

     "What's so funny?!" Prema shouted. Her face contorted into an angry scowl. "Do you think the state of our village is something to laugh about? You have a responsibility just like we do?"

     Audre stood up and dusted the dirt off her pants before looking at the three girls. "My responsibility is only to myself right now, and truthfully your responsibility is only to you and your families."

     Audre then left the girls where they sat.

     The Jaguar walked by her side, sticking close and growling and any males that dared look their way. Audre paid them no mind.

     "Where are we going?" he eventually asked, but Audre didn't answer.

     Truthfully, she didn't know. Just away. Away from anyone who wanted to shove this crazy responsibility to stabilize a dying village. What did she have to do with it? Why did she have to be forced to mate or pretend to be their godsend? Their hope? Well, they can tell the Beast Goddess to shove it!

......................................................................................................................

Vadon POV

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Vadon looked down at the little female by his side. Her face was contorted into a scowl, and her hands were clenched into small fists at her sides. It was kind of adorable.

     He had thought that she was getting along with those three females. He didn't know what brought her sudden bad mood, and despite how adorable she looked, he wanted to cheer her up.

     But how? What was something that would cheer up his angry little female?

     He gently took Audre's small fist and began pulling her along. Luckily, she didn't pull away from him like he thought she would. His lips quirked up into a small smile.

     "Where are we going?" she asked.

     Vadon looked back at her with a smile. "It's a surprise."

     "I don't think I like surprises anymore," Audre said. Her face was still angrily scrunched up.

     "I'm taking you to see the inner village." he relented. Anything to make that scowl go away.

     Audre sighed. "I'm not sure if I'm up to that anymore. Don't want to deal with a hoard of males again."

     Vadon shook his head. "I know a safe place where no one will bother us."

     Being sure that they weren't being followed, he led her close to the inner village but stopped at one of the tall trees.

     Vadon let go of Audre's hand and pointed up toward the tree. "Are you ready for a climb?"

     Audre sized up the tall tree and cracked her knuckles. "A chance for a rematch? Bet!"

Audre jumped up, hugged the tree, and attempted to shimmy her way up.

     "No no no no no." He said as he lifted her up by her waist and set her back down on the ground.

     "I thought we were climbing?" Audre whined. "Why get in the way of my rematch?"

     'It's not like you were getting anywhere.'

     "The tree is way too tall for a small female like you to climb," Vadon said as he knelt on one knee and leaned forward. "I'll carry you."

     Audre looked at him, then looked up at the tree and frowned. "How will you get up there if you have to carry me?"

     'Does she doubt my capabilities? I'm hurt.'

     "We Jaguar beast-men are great at climbing. Trust me," he told her.

     Audre looked doubtful but climbed onto his back anyway.

     "Hold on tight," Vadon told her. "And wrap your legs around my waist."

     "Do I have to?" Audre whined.

     "If you don't, you could fall," he said.

     'Was it so bad for her to hold onto me?'

     "Fine" Audre huffed as she did as he instructed.

     Once he was sure that Audre was secure, he transformed into a semi-beast form so his claws could better grip the tree before he scaled it.

     Audre hugged him tightly as they ascended the tree causing him to feel tingly. He couldn't help but smile unconsciously.

     He climbed up high until he reached the leafy canopy near the top and came to rest on a wide and thick tree trunk. He turned completely back into his orc form and helped Audre climb down from his back and pulled her in front of him. He held her steady by keeping one arm wrapped around her.

     Audre looked from the branch they were standing on. "Whoah, we are really high up!"

     "Yeah. And if you look over there, you will be able to see the entire inner village," he said as he pointed over her shoulder.

     Audre took two wobbly steps forward to get a better view and Vadon helped steady her as she did.

     Vadon could tell when she saw the village because her eyes lit up like the sunny blue sky. A smile spread across her face, and Vadon thought it was the most beautiful thing he ever saw. Soon he was met with a flurry of questions to which he was more than happy to answer.

       He wished that they could stay this way forever.