Chapter 27- Bodyguards

Mailey grabbed Audre's hand and began leading her away from the single males. Her mates scared away any males that attempted to follow them save for the Jaguar that stuck close to Audre's side.

There wasn't a small number of males at the river and Audre knew that her presence likely attracted more males to the river than usual. 

'Perhaps it was a bad idea to come here. These males are absolutely ridiculous.'

Mailey led them to a quieter spot that didn't have so many males and sat down on a rock near the river. Prema and Cora sat beside her, and Audre decided to sit down as well.

"Sorry for causing so much trouble." Audre sighed. "Didn't know that my being here would cause such a commotion."

Prema waved her hand dismissively. "It's not a problem. Before you came to the village, they would harass us and try to get us to abandon our mates."

"Yeah, Phoebe refuses to leave home now because of it," Cora said.

"That's horrible." Audre couldn't believe it.

'Was it this bad all the time? It's tough being a woman here.'

"This is also one of the reasons that I didn't want to bring you here." The Jaguar said as he stood alert by her side, his eyes drifting around to spot any males before they came close.

Audre found that the females' mates were doing the same thing. Standing alert and on guard around their females.

'This is ridiculous. Even in the village, it isn't safe.'

Audre rubbed her head in frustration, further messing up her already wild hair. "I thought that you didn't want me here because you were afraid that I would flirt with other males."

The Jaguar turned away as red began to creep into his face. "Well, I didn't want that to happen either."

Audre heard a snicker and when she had turned to face the females again, it turned into full laughter. 

"What's so funny?" Audre asked confused by their outburst.

"Well," Cora said in between giggles. "It's just that it's kind of funny seeing this from the outside."

"Yes. I remember when my first mate Kayson did the same thing." Prema laughed as she patted the bear beast-man that stood beside her, causing him to blush and look away.

Audre gave the Jaguar a sideways glare. "So, males often do this, huh?" 

"Yeah, there's no escaping it," Prema said.

"Since we're talking about mates, I have a question," Mailey said. Her eyes shifted to Audre then to Jaguar. "How come you two aren't mated yet?"