Chapter 8- New Home

'I should've seen this coming!'

     This tended to happen a lot in the beast world manhwa she read. It inevitably led to the protagonist and the male growing closer. Although she knew that she could keep her emotions in check, she did not think the Jaguar would keep his distance.

     "Wouldn't it be best to stay here until I fully recover?" Audre wanted to make her stay sound as reasonable as possible. She didn't want to make it too obvious that she was avoiding the Jaguar, or else the doctor might assume that she's cursed again.

     Juno waved her hand dismissively. "You'll be just fine in Vadon's care. It's not safe here now anyway because of the recent attacks."

     The jaguar eagerly nodded his head in agreement like a child who had just been asked if they wanted candy. "Don't worry Audre. I'll look after you."

     Audre could see that there wasn't much left in the house. What was left beside the things that Juno used were only a few herbs that were gathered in one place. It was obvious that the small house was being vacated.

     "But-"

     "Juno, the sun is setting. We should head home." Audre was cut off by a big burly beast-man that had walked through the door.

       Audre suddenly lost her will to argue. The new beast-man was huge, with broad shoulders and arms the size of tree trunks. He made the Jaguar look small. His face was severely scarred as if something had attempted to chew his face off in the past. One of his eyes was a milky white, and Audre assumed that he was likely blind in that eye. Small, cute, round fuzzy ears peaked out from his rugged grey hair as if to transform his whole appearance into some twisted joke.

     He placed his hands on Juno's hips and looked down into Juno's eyes as if she were the most precious thing to ever grace the world.

     "Ready to go home," he said in a gentle voice.

     Juno looked up at the beast-man and smiled at him sweetly. "I'll be right out my love. Let me just make sure my patient is ready to go."

     The beast-man turned his terrifying gaze towards Audre. Apparently noticing her for the first time.

     "You should hurry the sun is setting." he didn't sound sinister but his face and size still struck fear into Audre and she didn't want to do anything that would anger him.

     Audre quickly threw on her clothes and grabbed her bag. "I'm ready," she said in a small voice.

     The Jaguar held out his hand to help Audre up, but the girl ignored it and attempted to stand on her own. She got to her feet but was hit with a wave of dizziness and stumbled. The Jaguar quickly caught her before she fell.

     'This is not going well.'

     "Are you alright?" the Jaguar asked. His voice was filled with concern.

     Audre slowly stood upright, being sure to keep her balance. "I'm alright."

     The Jaguar was not convinced. He lifted Audre up into his arms. "I'll carry you."

     "That really isn't necessary," Audre said as she attempted to get down from the Jaguar's arms.

     The Jaguar hugged her closer to his chest, refusing to put her down. "You are injured, and it is hard for you to even stand on your own."

     'The stupid Jaguar is right. I'm not sure if I could successfully walk right now.'

     Begrudgingly, Audre stopped struggling and let the Jaguar carry her and decided to focus on holding her bag instead.

     "Thank you for your help, Juno." said the Jaguar.

     "You are most welcome." Juno linked her arm with her mate, and they made their way out of the small house. "Do not forget to use the medicine.

     The Jaguar followed up behind them. "I won't."

     With that, they went their separate ways.

     Audre saw that there were other nearby houses surrounding Juno's, but the entire place looked vacant save for a group of large, stone-faced beast-men who were looking as if they were waiting for a fight.

     Audre looked up at the Jaguar that was carrying her. "Do you know anything about these attacks?"

     The Jaguar smiled, seemingly glad that Audre spoke to him. "A group of wandering beast-men has been attacking our village in an attempt to steal food and females. We've been fighting them for a while now and the lower village is no longer safe."

     Audre could see evidence of these attacks. Some of the houses collapsed or were damaged, and bloodstains could be seen in various places.

     'This place seems dangerous.'

     The Jaguar hugged Audre closer to his chest. "You don't have to worry though. I'll protect you no matter what happens."

     Audre knew that the Jaguar was trying to reassure her, but the feeling of being trapped in a spider's web only grew worse. Her chances of surviving on her own were diminishing quickly. It was like the universe was trying to force her to cling to the Jaguar.

     "I had already lived in the upper village so there was no need for me to move." he continued. "I can't wait to show you!"

     Audre felt off about this entire ordeal. She had no desire to live with the jaguar. The whole thing just felt weird.

     For a while, Audre just stayed silent as the Jaguar carried her. They went in the same direction as other beast-men who were also retreating from the lower village were headed. Audre wasn't blind to the stares that she got from the beast men. Some gave odd stares like she was some kind of alien. Others looked at her with adoration as if she were a miracle.

     When the Jaguar noticed the beast-men staring at Audre, he gave a low growl and began to walk faster.

     They had gone quite a distance from Juno's abandoned house and even cut through more of the jungle before Audre began to see houses again. The houses were rudimentary and were mostly made from wood and straw. Most of the houses were spread out from each other, few were close.

     More tall stone-faced beast men were stationed outside the upper village, keeping a close eye on those who were coming in. They looked at me then looked to the Jaguar.

     The Jaguar answered the unspoken question. "She's a female I rescued in the forest."

     The stone-faced beast-man did not look completely satisfied with his answer. "She's still an outsider."

     "The village has not had a new female in years," he said. "I'll take complete responsibility for her."

     The beast-man pondered for a moment and then nodded his head. "I'll hold you to it, Vadon."

     Within the upper village, few beast-men were out. Most had retreated to their homes. Yet, Audre kept getting stares from those who were out. Some were even following her and the Jaguar.

     The Jaguar began walking faster, not bothering to look at the beast men around them. None of the beast men attempted to bother them or get in their way either. Audre had guessed that the Jaguar was likely not a beast man to be taken lightly.

     The Jaguar continued beyond the clearing where the houses were located and went into the jungle again.

     "Where are we going?" Audre asked. To her, it looked like they had left the upper village.

     The Jaguar looked down at her and smiled. "My house isn't back there, it's further ahead."

     As they continued through the jungle, Audre started to see that some of the large trees had holes at the base of them. She started to understand where the Jaguar was taking her.

     Just as she thought, the Jaguar stopped at one of those large trees. "We're home little female."