Chapter 17- A New Resolve

Vadon POV
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'I don't want to be your mate.'

The words replayed in Vadon's mind like a horrible chorus. It was the worst thing for a beast man to hear, especially at a time when females were so scarce.

What was wrong with him? Was he too weak or incompetent of a male in her eyes? Did she already have her eyes on someone else? Perhaps she really disliked the caiman he had hunted down. Or was it because he was a beast-man and she was not?

Vadon looked out across the village from where he was resting in a tall tree. Many males could be seen doing various tasks in the heart of the village. While the village seemed peaceful at a glance, a further look would show the unease in the village.

Some males could be seen making weapons and traps to fend off attacks from wandering beastmen. Others could be seen giving the few males with mates menacing looks. Compared to the number of males in the village, few females were spotted and none of the cubs that played in the village were female.

The village would fall at this rate unless more females were brought in. If not, more males would inevitably leave to join the cities with more females and ally themselves with the wandering beast-men. The introduction of a new female would bring some peace to the village. Even if it was only temporary.

But Vadon couldn't do it. He couldn't tell the chief about Audre's decision to reject him. Maybe he was selfish, but was it really so wrong? And if he was wrong, how would forcing the weight of the village on a young female be right?

Vadon was no fool though, he knew that once Audre recovered that it would be evident that they were not going to become mates. Once the Chief sees that Audre still did not have any spousal marks, she would quickly prepare for the mating rites ceremony, and Audre would not be able to leave the village with so many watching her.

Vadon looked back toward his home. He was ashamed of himself for running away. When has he ever been apt to quit? Although he was rejected by the little female, he didn't want to give up on her. Maybe if he stayed by her side, she would one day accept him. And if she didn't, at least he would know that he gave it all he had and didn't give up.

Vadon hopped down from the tree and landed nimbly on his feet. Once he was on the ground, he heard a small rustling, and before he knew it Ryker was by his side. 

     Ryker smirked. It was evident that he knew that he had caught Vadon off guard. "Did something happen between you and your female?"

     Even in his orc form, Ryker was incredibly stealthy. He may look rather unformidable at first, but even that was like a disguise to make him go unnoticed. Unlike most beast men, Ryker could utilize alternating from each form to sneak up on his targets. This was a technique Ryker had mastered. Not only was he unmatched in stealth, but his strength was nearly equal to Calian, who is the strongest in the village.

The only things that gave away Ryker's strength were the five black rings on his forearms and his braided brown hair that marked him as having a higher status in the village.

Vadon knew that Ryker was spying on him and Audre to ensure they didn't sneak out of the village, but it still made him angry. "It's none of your business."

"But it is Sigrid's business," Ryker growled. "If the female has rejected you, then you should inform your chief."

"Why do you think the female has rejected me?" Vadon knew it would be bad if Ryker found out about him getting rejected. If the Chief found out, she would immediately have Audre moved to a temporary home in the heart of the village and announce the mating rites ceremony. If that were to happen, to many eyes would be on her to escape.

"Not many males would leave the female they're courting alone to come rest in some tree," Ryker said.

'So, he doesn't know anything for sure.'

Vadon began walking away towards his home. "I have not been rejected."

Vadon could feel Ryker glaring at him as he walked away. He knew that Ryker wasn't stupid enough to believe him, but he couldn't prove that Vadon was lying either. Until the lunar cycle was done, the Chief couldn't take Audre away without any proof.

'Don't worry Audre. We will still escape the village.'