Chapter 9-Attack

Vadon POV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We're home little female."  Vadon had longed to say those words. 

With the shortage of females throughout the land, he never thought that he would find a mate until he was much older. But today he was bringing a female into his home. He was so happy that he couldn't remove the big toothy smile from his face.

He cheerfully brought Audre inside the tree hole and gently set her down on his grass bed. The female was so small and light. Adult females were usually taller. 

'So cute.'

Although he couldn't help but think she was adorable, he was also concerned.

Audre was so small and frail looking. She was alone when he found her, and he saw that she did not have any spousal marks. Most females could not hunt because they lose their beast form when they are young. 

'It must've been difficult when she got separated from her tribe.'

He watched as Audre took in her surroundings. Vadon was quite proud of his home. It wasn't very big, but he had everything he needed. A large grass bed, a water basin, stone cups and bowls, and even a few knives. 

"What do you think?" Vadon asked as he looked to Audre for her approval.

"Oh, it's umm... good."  

Vadon was extremely happy, that he could barely contain his excitement. His female liked his home. 

Just then, loud drums could be heard in the distance.

'Not good. Those are only used to signal the village of an attack.'

"What's going on?" Audre asked.

His little female looked uneasy. He patted her head to reassure her. "It's nothing to worry about."

Vadon leaned forward and planted a kiss on her cheek. Audre jumped in shock, but he didn't worry too much about it. "Stay here Audre, I'll be back."

He rushed out of the tree hole and covered the opening with large leaves. After he was finished, he left to help ward off the attackers.

................................................................................................................................................................
Audre POV
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the Jaguar had left, Audre vigorously wiped her cheek with the sleeve of her jacket.

'That stupid Jaguar had kissed me!'

Audre thought herself a fool to let her guard down. She wished that she had slapped him before he rushed out of the tree hole.

Audre huffed and pushed her anger aside. She needed to find a way to survive in the beast world on her own. But first, she needed to learn all she could. It wasn't going to be easy seeing that she was only human, and beast-men were actively trying to steal females from villages, but she had to find a way, nonetheless.

She crawled around the tree hole and started to look through all the Jaguar's things. The tree hole was big enough to stand, but Audre didn't trust herself to walk yet. 

There wasn't much to see. Just barely enough for survival it seemed.

'He's also a Jaguar so he wouldn't need all the things a human would need.'

She spotted a small pouch amidst all the stone utensils. Curious, she opened it. It was dark in the tree hole so she couldn't really see what was in it. She reached inside and pulled out something that felt round and smooth, like a small stone.

Audre took the pouch over to the opening of the tree hole and shifted the leaves to allow some light to come in. She held the small stone up in the dim light. The stone was very pretty, it had swirls of turquoise and red. Other stones were different colors, like purple, and emerald. She wondered what the stones were for. Besides being pretty, they seemed useless.

Audre put away the pouch and took her backpack to the opening of the tree hole. She could not leave just yet. Not until she recovered. Until then she could attempt to gain as much knowledge as she could. 

Audre pulled out her wilderness survival book and read until the remaining light faded away.