18

Bessie leads Enola to her house

Bessie leads Enola to her house. They pass over the wood planks and down the dodgy alley way to Bessie's shared house.

"Everyone says that they have run away." Bessie explains "But Sarah and Ester wouldn't do that, not to me."

Bessie leads Enola down the narrow hallway with the plaster peeling off to the kitchen where the bedroom is as well.

"The other girls are still at work." Bessie explains. Before asking Enola who looks around shocked from the look of the run down house "Tea?"

"Thankyou." Enola replies before asking "Might I see her bedroom?"

"Ours you mean?" Bessie asks with a polite smile "Your standing in it."

Enola gasps quietly and turns to look at the small room. She had never seen someone this poor yet so happy. It just proves the statement, money doesn't make you happy. It just makes life easier.

"We are lucky." Bessie continues "Most girl are five to a room." She lights a candle handing it to Enola with a kind smile. Before a rat runs across the floor and Enola screams.

"Oh." Says Bessie with a sad smile "Ester and Sarah liked to leave cheese out for them. They are  soft." Enola narrows her eyes, she doesn't know this Sarah girl but she knows Ester. Ester hates rats. What going on here, why does this all seem so suspicious?

"What does she look like, Sarah?" Enola asks the girl sweetly with a kind smile.

"About this tall." Bessie says reaching her arm up as far as it would go. "Pretty." She comments "Very Pretty. Green eyes, red hair, freckles..."

Enola who is writing all this down looks up raising her eyebrows "Red hair?" She asks.

Bessie smiles shyly "We weren't sisters in the usual way."

Another girl appears in the doorway. She has dark skin and curly black hair put up out of her face in a bun. "Found sisters." She announces. Before coming into the room. "Sarah took her in." She narrows her eyes at Enola before turning to Bessie "Who is this Bess?" Mae asks.

"Enola Holmes." Enola says brightly offering her hand to shake.

"She is a detective!" Bessie comments excitedly.

Mae looks down at her hand in discus. "She looks like she would blow over in the wind."

"Mae!" Cries Bessie in frustration and Enola retracts her hand.

Mae then scoffs rolling her eyes "Ester would have talked back to me then, that's what I liked about her."

"You knew Ester?" Enola asks.

"Yeah." Says Mar sassily flicking a piece of hair out of her face "Spoke the world of you, she did."

Enola beams and Mae rolls her eyes. "I however don't think the same." And Enola starts to scowl at her.