Touching touchy subjects

"How many laps?" I practically shout into the microphone. It was 20 degrees and I was sweating. "How many laps till I get this fucking stuff off."

"10. Sorry mate."

If I wasn't a nice person I'd have screamed into Wolff's eardrums as soon as he said that. But I am a nice person so I kept my mouth shut.

10 more laps in racing is like 10 more hours.

My brain could not function as I turned curve after curve. But atleast it was able to take my mind off of my brothers death though.

Oh no too late.

It's been 7 days, a week, since Mattie had been put into the ground. As soon as his funeral day was in the past - I jumped straight back into the swing of things. Gym, Ellie's appointments and my family dinners.

"Your doing so well since you've been having that time off Brando." Wolff says before trying to dig himself out of the imaginary hole he'd put himself in, "my condolences Sadie."

"No problem boss."

I felt tears prick in my eyes but blinked them back all the same. I coughed and cleared my throat a few times to steady my voice. It's always awful to cry whilst in a helmet, your hands can't get there to wipe it away. In this sport you don't show vulnerability. Ever.

                                   ~~~~~~~~~

"We'll done Brando. Well fucking done." Wolff shouts into my ear piece. He was ecstatic he was like a kid in a sweet shop.

I flew through the finish at high speed. I didn't win first but I won 5th. That alone was enough to put a bright smile on my face.

Before the race I told myself I'd do it for Matt.
And I had. 

Soon enough I had jumped out my car, ripped my helmet off, tied my suit around my waist and ran up to Lewis.

He won second place.

"We'll done Lewis!" My arms grab him and pull him into a tight hug. He then does the same but his was even tighter. Like it had a meaning.

He lets go off me and steps back admiring me with a huge grin. "Well done Sayd. Your brother would be so proud."

My smile falters for a second, but it soon returns. Lewis is right - he would be, he always has been proud of me.

I didn't realise I was zoned out smiling at Lewis for quite a while until someone interrupts:

"Could we get an interview with you guys?" The woman asks kindly as her microphone is already held out.

"Of course." Me and my teammate mutter together. The interviewer's cameraman counted her down and soon enough it was recording.

"I am hear today with the Mercedes drivers. Hamilton who took second." She motions with her free hand towards him and then to me, "and then Brando who came fifth. What did you guys think of your performance today?"

Lewis is first to comment on her question, giving me time to think of an answer as my head was still in the clouds. "I drove pretty well today, a lot better then other times as you've probably seen." He answers before laughing lightheartedly.

The blonde haired and well manicured woman then also laughs along before shifting focus to me, "And for you Sadie?"

"Well it's definitely good since I've had some time off recently. But I'm happy I'm getting in the swing of things now again."

"Oh yes of course due to your past relationship and your brother dying two weeks ago. Is that right?" She quizzes me.

She really struck hard and fast with those words. But I knew by now that's what the media industry was like, anything to get a reaction. Even if it meant touching touchy subjects.

"Yes I'd say that had something to do with it. But 5th is a good start and I'm hoping to go further." I then finish my speech with a fake smile.

"Thanks so much."

The camera then faces away from us and onto the next of its victims. Me and Lewis both sighed and laughed to ourselves. "I literally couldn't breathe the whole time she was interrogating you."

"Yeah but I handled it well." My hands ruffled through my hair trying to get my sweaty hair off my neck. I was a mess right now, God knows what I look like on TV.

And to make me even more hot and bothered a pair of hands wrapped around my waist. My back met a toned front. "Well done gorgeous."

"Thanks Charles, we'll done. You on the podium." I smiled at him bringing him in by the back of his neck for a kiss.

"Get a room you two." Lewis mutters as his grits his teeth. I turned to him confused as he was looking upwards and then behind.

I then noticed millions that had just witnessed my moment with Leclerc. And to make matters worse the cameraman had it pointed solely on me and Charles.

I groaned into Charles' chest and felt vibrations as he laughed. "We're together, relax. That's what couples do."

"True." Lewis agrees before leading the way back into the pits. Lewis congratulated Verstappen on his win with a big bro hug aswell as Lando on his 6th place victory. He clapped him on the back before walking off to God knows where.

I locked eyes with Lando and couldn't possibly get away from him. "Congrats on your win Sadie." He says to me grabbing my shoulder.

"I'll leave you to it guys." Leclerc leaves after he gives me and Lando a small smile.

I could tell full well that he still was a bit weird about this friendship. Me and Lando had made out and slept in the same bed before. And I was the reason why they fell out. So I completely understand.

"Thanks Lando. I totally smoked your arse."

He acts hurt as he pretends to be upset before taking his head out of his hands and laughing. "How you holding up?" He asks me taking a step forward to not make it seem so awkward.

"It's going okay. Still miss him but that's just life." I scratch the back of my head giving him another fake smile, one I've been giving everyone all day.

"It'll get better soon Sayd. I'm always here too."

I bring him in for a hug and he wraps his arms around my torso. I then realise I'm in direct eye-line of Mr-green-eyes sat over next to Lewis. Soon as I made eye contact he switched his gaze to the floor.

Oh yes because the floor is so interesting.

This was definitely Leclerc's touchy subject alright.