(smut) 016. we're all being punished

𝗢𝗡𝗖𝗘 𝗔𝗚𝗔𝗜𝗡, 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗖𝗛𝗨𝗥𝗖𝗛 was silent. Three tables set up in front of the room with Helena in the middle. Harry, had his hair slicked back and clean suit on, sat at the left table. Hunter sat at the table to the right. Allie had asked to join her, but Hunter dismissed her, still unable to forgive her for initially releasing Campbell.

Helena allowed Harry to give his opening statement of the debate and he rambled on about the growth of their community and how the kids had changed over the past six months, but mostly how the kids deserve full control. Once he finished Helena looked over at Hunter.

Hunter spoke about survival and how the kids looked out for each other, she talked about the upcoming struggles and how they would get through this together.

Thank you," Helena stated. "I'm going to now pick the first question randomly from-"

"I'd like to make my opening statement." A girl said as she walked up from the middle aisle, Lexi.

"Uh, the debate has already started." Helena objected.

"Right, but it's not finished and I'm here now." Lexi shrugged her shoulders.

Helena nodded slightly and Lexi turned back to the crowd. Lexi didn't give an opening statement. She spoke about what Harry really wanted and how The Guard interrogated her. She spoke about Hunter being a dictator and how she's trying to implement a fake military.

"You arrested Elle. Didn't you?" Lexi asked.

"You don't get to ask questions now." Hunter stated.

"Oh, why? Because those are your rules? No, fuck that, did you arrest Elle? Yes, or no?"

"Yes."

"On what charges?" Lexi asked again.

"I can't say."

"She's arresting people without charges." Lexi started. "She tortures people in rooms where no one can see."

"You're distorting what's happened." Hunter argued.

"No!" Lexi turned to her. "You decide where we sleep, what we eat, what job we have, how late we can be on the street-"

"Shut up." Hunter snapped. "You're right, okay. Is that what you want to hear? We have decided where you sleep and what job you have. Do you think that we did that for the hell of it? Look, the first few days here they were like heaven, no parents, no rules, but reality set in and chaos struck. Chaos threw us out of that heaven."

"Chaos, you created." Lexi cut in.

"What would you do differently, Lexi? Let people have access to guns whenever and wherever they want. Let people kill the kids they went to school with last year. Stop your bitching and look around you! Just because chaos struck does not mean it's the end. Chaos can be the end of a chapter but it's just the beginning of a story."

. . .

Hunter sat down at the counter and sighed, "I don't know what I was thinking, she's immovable.

Allie, Grizz, and Gordie nodded as the front door opened and Luke stepped in.

"Hey, uh, didn't mean to interrupt your little brain trust. I just wanted to let you know that I replaced Jason, so it's my shift now. . .I can go if you want." Luke said as he realized he interrupted an important conversation.

"It's okay. It's not a secret. She said she doesn't want to work with the Guard. She said we all have too much power." Hunter looked up at Luke.

"Maybe we postpone the election." Grizz said, rubbing soft circles on Hunters back.