011. innocent until proven guilty

𝗗𝗘𝗪𝗘𝗬 𝗪𝗔𝗦 𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗡𝗘𝗗 𝗨𝗣 against the wall with his head back, staring at the ceiling deep in thought as Hunter walked to the opposite corner and looked at him.

"I know this isn't going your way," Hunter started, "Dewey."

He tilted his head to look at her and she could see the regret in his eyes, how scared and timid he was. Hunter noticed that in that moment it was obvious that he just wanted to go home.

"They're going to convict you tomorrow."

"Yeah, no shit." Dewey grumbled, "like that wasn't the plan."

"I know you killed her," Hunter said as she stepped forward towards him, he wasn't Campbell, and she wasn't afraid of him. "I just need to know why. Why is Cassandra dead?"

Dewey didn't say anything, he just continued to look at her as if he was staring right through her. Maybe a part of him believed that if he continued to stare at her she would leave, or maybe disappear altogether.

Hunter continued, "Did you just feel like killing someone? Did you hate her? Did she do something to you?"

Dewey cracked a smile, "I'm not telling you shit."

"Really," Hunter said raising her voice with frustration, ""Because I'm the one who must sentence you tomorrow! So, maybe you should reconsider!"

She took several steps towards him until she was looming over him, powerful and in control, shouting at him. "Why? Why did you do it? Who helped you? I don't think you'll be so smug when I pronounce your punishment and then it'll be too late."

Dewey scoffed and let the smug look fall off his face. "This is a joke. A trial? A verdict? Total bullshit. What, you're gonna sentence me to what? Life in a wine cellar?"

Hunter raised her eyebrows and stepped back, "How about death?" She said before turning to leave the cellular and return to Grizz was eagerly waiting outside for her.

She opened the door and Dewey started to protest, "What do you want me to say? It was Campbell? Harry?"

"I don't want a fucking lie," Hunter sternly said.

"Fine it was both, Campbell and Harry!"

"Fuck you, Dewey!"

. . .

The church was filled with soft chatter as the same kids that showed up yesterday came today waiting for the verdict on Cassandra's killer. The jury was in a back room of the church, deciding a unanimous verdict. After a short ten minutes, a young girl leads the group back out. The jury sat quietly in their box and looked around nervously.

Hunter dipped her head down, "Do you have a verdict?'

A girl in a light blue sweater stood up and hesitated for a second. She nodded her head. "Guilty." She muttered. "We find him guilty."

As the crowd cheered in excitement, Hunter closed her eyes. She couldn't understand why everyone was excited that someone they had gone to classes with not even a six months ago had ended someone's life and they're chanting and clapping at ending his own.

"Thank you to the jury for doing its job. Now it's just to me to decide," She hesitated. "His sentence. Guards, will you take him back to his cell?"

Grizz and Jason grabbed Dewey and attempted to pull him down the aisle. "Everyone else can all go home." Hunter stood up and everyone started to file out.

Dewey fought Grizz and Jason and they tried to pull him up. He turned to Helena and whispered something.

"Hunter, he wants to make a statement."

"Okay." She said, sounding unsure. "Everyone, uh, can you come back and sit? Dewey has something to say."

Grizz let go of Dewey and let him sit back down then stood behind him. Everyone else in the crowd made their way back to their seats and faced Hunter as she took her seat. Dewey stood up and faced the crowd, his back to her as everyone was silent waiting his statement.

"Cassandra was a fucking bitch." Dewey began as everyone reacted. "So is her sister and don't get me started on Hunter."

Grizz took a step forward to grab Dewey but stopped as Hunter shook her head.

"You make me sick you fucking murder!" A girl yelled from the second row and Dewey just flipped her off.

"Be quiet!" Hunter yelled. "Let him talk. Let him say what he thinks needs to be said."

"So are all the women here. Fucking bitches who won't give us the time of day, who think we owe them everything?"

"I killed Cassandra for everyone because she had it coming. The night of prom we were all at Harry's house and he said he wished she was dead." crowd reacted yet again. "And he knows it!"

Dewey started to shout over the reactions. "And everybody who hated that bitch knows it."

"That's fucking bullshit!" Harry said as he stood up.

"And Campbell helped me plan it." Dewey finished.

Hunter felt herself getting dizzy, this was all too much. She found herself looking at Campbell before reverting her eyes to the ground as Elle looked over at her confused and Campbell knitted his eyebrows.

"He was there, he planned the whole thing."

"Hey, wait! Wait!" Campbell objected."

"Fuck all of you." Dewey continued over Campbell's objections.

Hunter looked over at Luke and told him to grab Dewey while she told Grizz to watch Campbell who nodded, not needing that instruction in the first place.

"He's obviously a fucking liar." Campbell said. "I'm not, not, fucking listening to this anymore."

Campbell turned to leave but kids stood up and tried to stop him. Grizz stepped in front of him and put his hand out.

"I can't let you go, man." Grizz said as he pushed Campbell back.

"Get the fuck out of my way."

"No, sit down." Grizz said.

"Now you know." Dewey smirked said as Luke pulled him away.

"Hunter!" Campbell yelled as he stormed down the aisle to be face to face with his now ex-girlfriend. "You put him up to this didn't you, you little fucking whore."

Grizz rushed down the aisle to grab Campbell, he went to go grab his biceps but was elbowed in the chest causing him to stumble back in a reflex.

When Hunter went to make sure Grizz was okay, she stepped into the direct line of Campbell's closed fist.

"Hunter!" Grizz yelled at the same time Hunter held her cheek, tears filled in her eyes and looked at Campbell, "Arrest him."